New Release: Telengard (for the Vic-20 +24K)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: New Release: Telengard (for the Vic-20 +24K)

Post by GreyGhost »

Is there a cruncher for the VIC-20? I have a cruncher for the C64 and have been pleased with it for many years.
There is a cruncher for the Vic 20 published in Compute's Gazette called 'crunch' iirc. It had no bells and whistles though. There was also a 64 version that had options such as line length. There's nothing stopping you from crunching a Vic program with a C64 though. It's the same BASIC language.

Keep in mind, crunchers, compilers and compactors are all different things.
Rob
Neo-Rio
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Neo-Rio »

GreyGhost wrote: There is a cruncher for the Vic 20 published in Compute's Gazette called 'crunch' iirc. It had no bells and whistles though.
Found it on gazette disk 1985-08

Yes, it does a basic compact on the listing. Saves a whole 3 blocks of disk space.
Not really worth it.
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

3 blocks? Isn't each block 254 bytes long? That's 762 bytes more than you had. I did mention a lot of the work would have to be done by hand. I don't think a cruncher is going to combine data statements, drop the last quote on a print statement or change NEXT X,Y into NEXT:NEXT. I could be wrong on that.

It's miraculous just the way it is. A very good job. The graphics are what I miss. The memory you could save would hardly be enough for that I'm sure.
Rob
Neo-Rio
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Neo-Rio »

GreyGhost wrote:3 blocks? Isn't each block 254 bytes long? That's 762 bytes more than you had.
After starting the program there was only about 100 bytes more than before.
Still, with some compression it might be possible to slip another sound effect in there... but that's about all you could squeeze in I think.
Dynamic_Computing
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Dynamic_Computing »

After finding this thread, I downloaded Telengard for the VIC-20 and loved it! I have now done a video review on my 10 Minute Amiga Retro Cast/ChickenHead Chronicles channel.
What a great implementation of one of my favorite games!
https://youtu.be/DIwBJ2nbIqA
mathom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by mathom »

This is very cool! Thank you for the hard work, Neo-Rio! Can't wait to get deeper into it.

...mathom...
...mathom...