a new Game for the VIC-20 Fort Apocalypse

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Aturnwald
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: a new Game for the VIC-20 Fort Apocalypse

Post by Aturnwald »

give me a few days and I try that procedure for autostart and the super expander, but I can't promise that it would work
also you must use the memory at BLK/5 when you are on a real VIC-20
.....42, what else ???
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mayhem wrote:Now, if someone can combine loading the Super Expander and the game into one self-booting disk image, I could add it to GB20 :)
Wouldn't it work with a vice snapshot?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

orion70 and I had good reasons to port VICtoria to MG, obviating the need for Super Expander. The slight challenge of producing an autobooting version of any program for a soft-loaded SE cartridge being one of them.

Hint: the cartridge auto-boot on reset will terminate any standard batch procedure.
Boray wrote:Wouldn't it work with a vice snapshot?
Aside from the fact that *.vsf files tend to be specific to a certain build of VICE, and for sure couldn't be used on real hardware, yes.

Anyway. Volunteers, one pace forward! :twisted:
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

^ yeah, that's why I don't want VSF or T64 or anything like that if possible. Should be something you can also use on a real Vic20.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
r.cade
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by r.cade »

By the way, the original subject of this thread- Fort Apocalypse. Very cool adaptation...

That was the first game I played on the C64 at a friends' house, and I still only had a VIC. I tried to do something like this, but this is much better. Mine was PETSCII graphics :)
--
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

I've checked out the code of this little gem. The custom characters are embedded in the .PRG file and it seems to only use 3 commands from the super expander; RJOY(),COLOR, & SOUND. Someone with a little smarts could easily convert it to be used on a regular VIC.
Rob