tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

ColorRun Retro

Post by tokra »

Name: ColorRun Retro
Author: tokra
Released: Feb, 1st, 2016
Requirements: PAL VIC-20 unexpanded

Description: A VIC20-version of the browser-/mobile game of the same name. Just pick the lighter color. Sounds too easy, but isn't.
My entry for the Global Game Jam 2016. Done in under 48 hours at the University of Bremen Jam Site.

Screenshot:

Download: http://www.tokra.de/vic/colorrun/colorrun-v2.zip
Last edited by tokra on Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: ColorRun Retro

Post by darkatx »

I got a beginner and a couple of Lamers after rushing a touch but got an Average for my troubles...ended up with a Beginner when I tried to get serious...it is challenging :)
Learning all the time... :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I got average in Vice. Nice!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Difficult even in VICE for me :oops:
Boray, tell the truth: you cheated slowing it down, didn't you?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Tried it on a real Vic a bunch of times and got 1022 points, level 14 and rank Teacher.

One problem though: Sometimes the color combination of the game over screen makes it impossible to read on a real vic.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

One problem though: Sometimes the color combination of the game over screen makes it impossible to read on a real vic.
RIght now char-color is just (background-color + 1 and 7). Tried this in VICE and on my S-Video-moded VIC and while sometimes difficult to read it was always distinguishable. I am open to suggestions how to improve this, however.

I noticed while showing the game around that some people can play this very naturally while other fail miserably. Some try to be as fast as possible, while others play it safe and their time runs out. It's hard to find the best middle ground. BTW: You get "42 minus 2x level" bonus time for each correct answer, so at the beginning you get 4/6 of a second for each correct answer. And from level 22 forward you actually loose time. I've never made it that far myself without trainer, though.

Although I used a machine-language joystick-routine at the last minute (I borrowed from "Programming the VIC"), it still plays best with keyboard.

The original browser game I based this on can be found at http://www.colorrun.pl
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

tokra wrote:
RIght now char-color is just (background-color + 1 and 7). Tried this in VICE and on my S-Video-moded VIC and while sometimes difficult to read it was always distinguishable. I am open to suggestions how to improve this, however.
Maybe if you just rewrite the final score with either white or black depending on if the left field is dark or light. I don't think it's a good idea to do this other than for the final score though because then you can cheat and look on the text color instead which would be easier.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Ok, I've taken some time to improve this game to Version 2:

- NTSC version included
- Joystick-routine improved
- text-display colors improved (only black & white depending on background)
- BASIC-code tightened as much as possible
- Machine-code included in file (no more DATA-loader)
- total game takes up only 1241 bytes for NTSC, 1245 for PAL = 5 blocks on disc

Download here: http://www.tokra.de/vic/colorrun/colorrun-v2.zip