Ten best VIC games

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

slcroucher
Vic 20 Newbie

Ten best VIC games

Post by slcroucher »

Our Amiga User Group held its annual Christmas retro gaming meeting yesterday and a couple of the members were impressed with some of the conversions and other games on the VIC. Some of the arcade games of the time such as Gorf and Donkey Kong are quite polished on the machine.

This has made me more interested in the little machine, so I was wondering what the ten best games and demos are for the VIC? And where can I download them from?

Thanks,

Steve

http://www.amiganorththames.co.uk
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Ten best VIC games

Post by beamrider »

Nice to see some meet ups in the UK (most seem to be on the other side of the pond). Would you consider expanding the scope to all Commodore machines in order to encourage more attendance?

I think this question has been asked many times and every one will give a different answer.

E.g. http://www.retrogamer.net/top_10/top-te ... -20-games/

My personal top ten favourite games (excluding my own of course :wink: ) would be

Jelly Monsters
Super Lander
Gorf
Demon Attack
Myriad
GridRunner
Avenger
Donkey Kong
Frogger 07
Omega Race

They can all be found in gamebase 20 or zimmer.

The easiest way IMO though is to load the MegaCart image into the VICE emulator using File->Attach Cartidge Image->Attach Megacart Image.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Gorf
Dragon Fire*
Choplifter
Jungle Hunt*
Serpentine
Demon Attack*
Robot Riot*
Realms of Quest
Sword of Fargoal
Drone x( I have to throw in my own :) )*

Every thing else can be found at zimmer.

*games my 3 and 5 year old are partial to as well.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

I'm not a great VIC games expert (I had very limited money at the time, and lack time to try all games today), however I also agree that Gorf for the VIC was a very brilliant and playable conversion. One of the best games available for the machine.

Omega Race was converted with significantly different physics, but IMHO for some reason I find it more amusing, fast and overall better than its arcade counterpart. The attract mode and the custom character font had been a cool touch from Commodore - you didn't see those things frequently back then. Amazingly enough, also the vector-style, pure black&white graphics were preserved in the conversion - a philological touch that, once again, was very uncommon in the '80s.

It seems that nobody still mentioned Radar Rat Race, one of my absolute favorites in the maze/radar genre, a very cute theme variation with mices, cats and cheese :mrgreen: on a classic car chase game (Rally-X). Again, also in this case I prefer the VIC "variant" over the arcade original: it's cuter and it makes more sense. :mrgreen:
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Interesting.I always hated radar rat race (or Vic rally x) compared to the arcade due to its lame single voice tune and jerky scrolling. I can remember having high hopes but being so disappointed when I saw it
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

This will almost be the best of the 'Ports' list.
I'll keep it to general makers in no particular order.

Jeff Daniels - Denial site owner with an extensive library of games that are enjoyable
Jeff Minter - an extensive library - deserves to be mentioned as well even though I haven't played his games much
Freshlamb - Again an impressive library of games
Misfit - another impressive library of games from him as well
Kweepa - maker of CometFall, The Keep, port of Doom, etc...
Mike and Orion - updated versions and ports of Island of Secrets, The Great Adventure, Victoria
RHurst - ports of Bezerk, Pacman (Quikman), Breakout, and Omega Fury unoffical Omage Race sequel, etc...)
Ghislain - Realms of Quest series (notably 3 and 4), Theatre of War and so much more
Beamrider - ports of Tank Battalion, Pooyan and Popeye
RevivalStudios - very polished looking games library from this one
Pixel - Pulse just a heckuva game
Boray, Rzo and so many others here...just check out the software releases and see what catches your eye
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... m.php?f=15

:) Omega Race and Gorf will always be a classic
Learning all the time... :)