WIP - Demons of Dex

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: WIP - Demons of Dex

Post by phvic »

ravenxau wrote:Do you just pick a random new direction for the drill head, or rotate it 90 degrees each change?
I just always rotate clockwise to save bytes :)
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

New version with gradually revealed map. 844 bytes used. Also added new screenshot to the first post.

I had some big problems with the floodfill algorithm used to reveal the map. The 6502 stack is too tiny for revealing large areas and stackless flood fill algorithms are way too complicated. Instead I hacked a recursion depth limit which fixes stack overflows but is also quite useful for limiting player's visibility. It's a terrible hack but works quite well usually... but sometimes small bits of large areas are not revealed until the player is very close to them. I guess player will have to live with it.

I think I need to work on combat and AI next.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Just thought I would share a little experiment I did after doing some reading on the 'drunkard walk' algorithm.

My routine moves the walker forward as long as it doesn't cross the edge boundaries

Each move, there is a 1 in 6 chance that the walker will turn right

Due to the simplicity of the rules, the walker will often get 'delayed' at the edges and corners

But by keeping the rules simple, avoiding if/then/goto's in the code and using integer mathematics, my routine usually creates a reasonable level in under 15 seconds using only BASIC - A fair effort I think.

Here is a .prg for the unexpanded VIC for any one who wants to see it in action - I might even build a game around it when I come up with an interesting theme.

https://www.mediafire.com/?wc71sadf92w4rhb
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Err... Isn't this exactly the same algorithm I'm using (see prev page)? :)
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

phvic wrote:Err... Isn't this exactly the same algorithm I'm using (see prev page)? :)
Yes, it is - only real alteration is my walker has a 16% chance of turning - if you increase it to 30% or even higher, BASIC is a bit slow for a practical implementation - as the walker can spend a long time wandering around in empty space - also 16% seems to gave a nice ratio of 'corridors' to 'rooms', rather than large carved out open spaces.
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Okay, I found about Whack yesterday. I think I should have made research about available roguelike games before starting the project... Whack has done pretty much the same thing (with many same ideas -- heck, even the color scheme looks almost identical by chance), although I have more monster and item types (and usable items).

Do you think there's room for another roguelike on the VIC? I feel a bit demotivated at the moment, since a similar game already exists.

What do you think? Anyone fancy playing another roguelike on the VIC?
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

done a couple of 'tweaks' to increase execution speed - now 25% works quite well - many mazes now generated in less than 10 seconds - I know, even closer to your algorithm... same download link for the .prg
Last edited by ravenxau on Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

phvic wrote:Okay, I found about Whack yesterday. I think I should have made research about available roguelike games before starting the project... Whack has done pretty much the same thing (with many same ideas -- heck, even the color scheme looks almost identical by chance), although I have more monster and item types (and usable items).

Do you think there's room for another roguelike on the VIC? I feel a bit demotivated at the moment, since a similar game already exists.

What do you think? Anyone fancy playing another roguelike on the VIC?

always more room for more rogulikes..... perhaps coming up with a bit of twist to make it stand out from the crowd.... what you have done is great and shouldn't be wasted
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by randolph.pickle »

I second what ravenxau said. Especially if there's going to be more content then Whack.
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Re: content, the plan was to use every byte of the unexpanded vic, so yeah, definitely more stuff than in Whack is doable. Some things I have in mind:
- using carried items by pressing function keys
- themed levels
- hidden treasures
- monster special abilities
- 16 different monsters
- conditions (poisoned, maybe others)
- more tile types

Thanks for the encouragements guys, I will keep working on this!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

phvic wrote:- using carried items by pressing function keys
- themed levels
- hidden treasures
- monster special abilities
- 16 different monsters
- conditions (poisoned, maybe others)
- more tile types
Definitely more than I would expect from the average unexpanded roguelike!

If there's room enough, please add a tiredness / rest mechanism :) and a time counter to hurry the player up, or as a component of final score. Oh, and a high-score table :) :) - and some coffee, please :) :) :)
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

orion70 wrote:If there's room enough, please add a tiredness / rest mechanism :) and a time counter to hurry the player up, or as a component of final score. Oh, and a high-score table :) :) - and some coffee, please :) :) :)
Hah, I definitely will! Some sort of counter (maybe food mechanic) would be nice to have.

Just got the enemy AI and attacking working. It's starting to feel like a real game.

I noticed that Whack uses a real line of sight system. Now I definitely have to rewrite my level revealing routine!
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Making progress towards release. Only 650 bytes left so a couple of small features and I'm done.

I would like to use the tape buffer for code as well but I think I need a loader/decruncher of some sort for that.

Release date this month!
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Demons of Dex is now ready for beta-testing! Once beta-test is complete I'll make the final release build and a trailer.

Please note that the game uses all available 3584 bytes and the assembly code has been tightly optimized, so new features can't be added at this point. However, balancing and numeric values can still be adjusted.

All comments welcome! Please post your highscores :)

###

Demons of Dex - Eino's Quest

A roguelike for the unexpanded VIC-20
Copyright (C) 2015 Petri Häkkinen

You are Eino, a member of the druids. Your master, the arch druid has become old and it is time for somebody to replace him. As a young initiate you are sent to dungeon Dex, a mysterious labyrinth home to vile creatures. You must enter the dungeon alone and defeat three demon lords within. Only then can you achieve enlightenment and ascend to become the next arch druid.

Good luck!

### How to play? ###

Use W,A,S,D keys to move. Attack by walking on enemies. Items are automatically picked up when you walk on them.

Items that you have picked up can be used by pressing the following keys:

F1 - use potion
F3 - use gem
F5 - use scroll
F7 - use ankh
Z - use staff

### What do the symbols on the screen mean? ###

@ Eino (that's you!)
> Stairs to next level
! Potion
? Scroll
+ Door

Monsters are depicted by letters. There are also other symbols not listed here, find out yourselves what they are!

### Treasures of Dex ###

During your adventure you may find treasures which can be used during your quest. Some of them are dropped by monsters, some you will have to find!

Potion (F1): These are depicted by red '!' symbols. Drink a potion to heal your wounds by pressing F1.

Gem (F3): These rare precious stones have magical powers. If you are lucky to find a gem (depicted by a green diamond symbol), you can use its magical powers by pressing F3.

Scroll (F5): The scrolls with arcane words written on them have been created by evil mages lurking in the deepest chambers of Dex. A scroll looks like a purple '?' symbol on the screen. You can unleash the spells stored in them by pressing F5.

Ankh (F7): The demons of Dex have stolen the holy ankhs of the circle. The ankhs are really rare, but if you manage to recover one, you can unleash its destructive powers by pressing F7.

Staff (Z): Only the one possessing this magical artifact can become the new arch druid. It is a truly powerful item and you may use its powers by pressing the Z key. Beware, even its powers may be limited.

### Scoring ###

Your score increases when you do one of the following:

+10 for each monster defeated.
+100 for each item found.
+1000 for each demon banished.

### Leveling up ###

When you defeat enemies you will get experience points. After a certain amount of experience points Eino will level up. As this happens Eino's health will be replenished. Your maximum health capacity will also gradually expand as you gain levels.

### Credits ###

Programming: Petri Häkkinen
Music: Mikko Kallinen
Beta testing: Erik Salmi
Attachments
demons.zip
Beta
(2.81 KiB) Downloaded 108 times
phvic
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by phvic »

Anyone interested in helping testing the beta version before the final version is released?