I can't remember

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

DrVeryEvil
Vic 20 Amateur

I can't remember

Post by DrVeryEvil »

Back around 1984, my neighbor had a game on tape for the unexpanded VIC, that was like Centipede. It had great playability and used the keyboard for control. At the time, I was new to Commodore computers and didn't know how easy it was to copy the game. It was an all machine language game, because I remember after loading it and doing a LIST, it showed a SYS command to start it. Does anyone have any ideas on the name of the game?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: I can't remember

Post by Mayhem »

Exterminator?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Nightcrawler?
DrVeryEvil
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by DrVeryEvil »

It seems to me it had smooth movements, unlike a basic program. Even the demons that drop from the top of the screen and leave more obstacles behind, had smooth movements. Of course I was young and these were the first computers I ever experienced, so who knows if I'm describing it accurately or not. At the time, it was just the best game I had ever seen on an unexpanded VIC 20.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

There are so many Centipede clones for Vic that it is hard to tell without further details.

Besides the two already mentioned there are: A Country Garden, Scorpion (Livewire not Tronix), Minipedes, Atarisoft's official conversion, Gridrunner, Matrix (aka Attack of the mutant camels), Mushroom Alley (aka Video Vermin), Caterpilla, Centipod, Crawler, Centropods, Alphoids.

There are probably more. I myself have a good 8k version that I have not seen anywhere else. I have the original tape and it is plainly called Centipede.

Some of these are for the unexapanded machine but, as I remember, they are not smooth. Gridrunner is probably the best of the unexpanded ones.

Seems like the small sprites/characters of Centipede were really well suited for Vic. Matrix is an exceptional game. A Country Garden and Mushroom Alley are really smooth and fast. I haven't played Minipedes but it stands out with big and smooth characters.

You can search for it on, say, Highretroogamelord's video list https://www.youtube.com/user/Highretrog ... =dd&view=0

Edit: Another one: Arachnoid, looks smooth and good. There are apparently two different Caterpilla games. One from Ocean and the other from Romik. Both are Centipede clones and rather crude looking.