Eight previously unreleased games for the VIC-20: THE SYSTEM IIII GAME CATALOG 1986-1990

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Eight previously unreleased games for the VIC-20: THE SYSTEM IIII GAME CATALOG 1986-1990

Post by Ghislain »

Name: The System IIII Game Catalog 1986-1990
Author: Ghislain (Adventure World made by original System IIII member "Nanuq")
Released on: August 22, 2015
Requirements: Unexpanded VIC-20. A joystick is required for the games made in 1990
Download link: https://sites.google.com/site/gdbsite50 ... ects=0&d=1
Discuss here:: http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =10&t=7600

I've been quite busy with real life over the past two years, not having much time to embark on new projects for the Commodore VIC-20. However, I've been touching up and refining some of my previously unreleased games over the past few months off-and-on. I wasn't going to release this until I packaged these with a new mini project that I had in mind (more on that later), but I figured that I should put it out now anyway.

For those games made in 1986--these were recovered from a cassette made over the span of a few weeks with the original System IIII group. I did not have a Datassette at home, so I would go to where the other three System IIII members lived (in a housing complex), and would just program the ideas they gave to me. When I recently revisited these games, they were quite slow, so I improved on the programming to make them more playable.

I also made a few games in 1990 that I never bothered to release and they're also included here.

All games made by Ghislain, except where noted.

ADVENTURE WORLD (1986 by Nanuq): A very simple text-based RPG adventure. Included in the collection for posterity.

MS. VIC-MAN (1990): There were so many VIC-MAN games out there, I figured that a 4-maze sequel inspired from the arcade should be made, so here it is.

OPERATION: NATO (1990): Three simple action war games combined into one.

SPACE DESTRUCTOR (1986); A one or two player shoot'em up inspired by those VIC-20 manual type-in programs that were made by Duane Later.

SUMO SMASHER (1986): Should be renamed KEYBOARD SMASHER. Each player uses their respective action keys to bow at the beginning of the sumo match and then proceed to repeatedly abuse said keys to win.

VIC BOXING ASSOCIATION (1986): A PETSCII version of PUNCH-OUT!! You can't just mindlessly press the punch keys to knock out your opponent here -- you have to counter their moves. If the opponent nudges slightly to the left or to the right, you can throw a quick punch to tag him. If the opponent telegraphs a punch by moving widely to the left or right, you should then dodge first and then hit him repeatedly with punches.

VICEYE THE ARCADE GAME (1990): Think of this as a COMPUTE!'s Gazette type-in version of the Popeye arcade game. Tip: make sure that you are facing your enemy Pluto when he throws a bottle at you--only then can you punch it. The firebutton does not control punching -- you can only punch when you successfully punch a bottle or move towards the cans of kale at the top of the screen.

VIDEO QUEST (1986): My earliest RPG game. I also had an idea to make a sequel to this that would feature an overland map, cities, and people to talk to. The game engine wouldn't be as elaborate as Realms of Quest III & IV, but it would have really pushed the boundaries of the unexpanded VIC-20. I might make VIDEO QUEST II some day, but I need a couple of free weekends to do so.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: Eight previously unreleased games for the VIC-20: THE SYSTEM IIII GAME CATALOG 1986-1990

Post by Vic 2000 »

Thanks for sharing your collection of unreleased games. :)

Great, it's even a Popeye clone in there.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: Eight previously unreleased games for the VIC-20: THE SYSTEM IIII GAME CATALOG 1986-1990

Post by joshuadenmark »

Great surprise :D thanks, will look closer into these unreleased diamonds.
Kind regards, Peter.
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

And Frank Bruno's boxing too... (well, almost :P)
Thank you so much for this compilation! Will be on a real VIC ASAP :)
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

I love these history preserving publications!
r.cade
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by r.cade »

These are really, really nice to unexpanded BASIC programs!
--
Pete Rittwage
C64 Preservation Project
http://c64preservation.com
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Very nice, thanks for sharing...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I finally had a chance to sit down and enjoy these. They're great! The menu is very nice too.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.