WIP - Serpent Caves

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: WIP - Serpent Caves

Post by ravenxau »

randolph.pickle wrote:I can't seem to get the TAP file to work in VICE. This is what I'm getting:

Code: Select all

**** cbm basic v2 ****

3583 bytes free

ready.
load:

press play on tape
ok

searching
found serp01.prg

?load
 error
ready.
run

?out of data
 error in 3
ready.

I'm not quite sure what the problem is :oops:.
My apologies - yes, there was an issue with the .tap file - I have no idea how it happened (mabey during the upload) - but here is a .d64 image that is hopefully fine.
http://www.mediafire.com/download/oki8v ... 2/serp.d64
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by randolph.pickle »

I've been trying my best to beat it. I've gotten to level 13. The game is shaping up nicely and I hope you continue working on it.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

randolph.pickle wrote:I've been trying my best to beat it. I've gotten to level 13. The game is shaping up nicely and I hope you continue working on it.
Well Done - Level 9 is my best so far - is the difficulty curve ok?
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

is the difficulty curve ok?
Oh yea. I think it gets pretty darn challenging toward the double digit floors. I've been surviving longer by finding/creating a safe spot where I can see most the serpents and am a good distance from them. Then, I repeatedly bump into a wall to get my health back. Most roguelikes I've played allow you to do this with a rest button or a skip turn button. I'm not sure if you would consider that an exploit or not :D.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

randolph.pickle wrote:
is the difficulty curve ok?
Oh yea. I think it gets pretty darn challenging toward the double digit floors. I've been surviving longer by finding/creating a safe spot where I can see most the serpents and am a good distance from them. Then, I repeatedly bump into a wall to get my health back. Most roguelikes I've played allow you to do this with a rest button or a skip turn button. I'm not sure if you would consider that an exploit or not :D.

Nothing wrong with resting - it's a legitimate strategy

I have also been considering making the game full color - It will be interesting to see if this pans out or not
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

Nothing wrong with resting - it's a legitimate strategy
I wasn't quite clear. For roguelikes in general yes, but I meant with respect to your game and what you had/have in mind :).
I have also been considering making the game full color - It will be interesting to see if this pans out or not
Awesome. I look forward to any additional work you put into it. I'm still determined to see if I can make it out alive though.
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

I wasn't quite clear. For roguelikes in general yes, but I meant with respect to your game and what you had/have in mind :).
I had assumed since there was no dedicated wait button that I was doing something unintended and was breaking the game.

Also, I forgot to mention that the status bar at the bottom of the screen gets redrawn incorrectly when going from a single digit amount of HP to a double digit amount of HP.
Attachments
serp.png
serp.png (1.9 KiB) Viewed 2468 times
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Managed to escape with 17 diamonds... One thing I noticed is the game slows down a lot on the last levels.... Mabey only having 10 levels instead of 15, but adjusting the difficulty to allow for the change...also, the status bar issue will be fixed in the next release.
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

Managed to escape with 17 diamonds... One thing I noticed is the game slows down a lot on the last levels.... Mabey only having 10 levels instead of 15, but adjusting the difficulty to allow for the change...also, the status bar issue will be fixed in the next release.
Sounds like a good idea. Gonna give the "Retro Edition" a thorough playing when I get chance. Keep up the good work!
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

just for anyone following along, I have halted development on this project for now, as I am considering reworking for a more RPG styled game - but if you want to play, "Retro" and "Alternate" are both available in this thread:-

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =10&t=7589