My first Game! (Drone X)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

My first Game! (Drone X)

Post by R'zo »

I have recently finished my first game. it is called CARBON EATER X. it is written in basic for the unexpanded vic. Here is the demo version if you would like to try it Drone X

The final release will be on disk image with an 8k version that will feature a multiplayer mode and a "beatable" mode.
In carbon eater x you control a spider like probe on a distant meteor. Sent there to survey the meteor carbon eater must feed on carbon dust and coal for fuel.

Carbon collects on the meteors surface, forms into coal and eventually diamonds.

The diamonds are to hard for Carbon Eater to process and will destroy the probe should it eat one.

However if the Carbon Eater has enough fuel it can emit a destructive warp field that will destroy everything surrounding it by pressing the fire button (this costs 100 points)

It is a simple but fun and colorful game, I highly recommend it for children. I hope you have as much fun playing it as I did writing it.
Being my first game feedback would be very appreciated.

Enjoy
Last edited by R'zo on Fri Oct 23, 2015 12:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: My first Game!

Post by Mayhem »

I don't think Facebook allow third party links to images, as they are not appearing for me (although the links are valid). You might need to host the images elsewhere. I'll download and check the game out though :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
randolph.pickle
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by randolph.pickle »

Congratulations on releasing your first game!

Presentation-wise, I think the game is awesome. I like the all PETSCII graphics, the title screen music, and the game over animation.

Gameplay-wise, I think the game is simple yet fun. Though, I had to play on hard to get a good challenge out of the game.

Feature-wise, I could imagine a timed game mode, a mode where the player competes against a computer controlled character, and a "Runaway" mode with controls and movement like Jeff's "Pillow Fight".

Also, I found an exploit. I let the game sit and run for quite a while to see what would happen. Eventually, carbon was placed over the carbon eater and I was continuously racking up points without moving.

You did a good job though. Keep it up :).
Last edited by randolph.pickle on Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Thank you for the feed back, I'm glad you enjoyed the game.
randolph.pickle wrote:
Feature-wise, I could imagine a timed game mode, a mode where the player competes against a computer controlled character, and a 'Runaway' mode with controls and movement like Jeff's 'Pillow Fight'.

I've already been thinking about a time mode for the 8k version, i've also been thinking about a computer challenge mode if I have room to fit it. I want to try to add intro and ending animation sequences to the 8k as well.
Also, I found an exploit. I let the game sit and run for quite a while to see what would happen. Eventually, carbon was placed over the carbon eater and I was continuously racking up points without moving.
I discovered that a couple of nights ago as well. By then I had already crammed so much into unexpanded basic that I couldn't fit the simple if then command in that I needed to fix it. I really wanted to pruduce an enexpanded version so the exploit stayed. This will most likely be changed for the 8k version.
R'zo
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

R'zo wrote:By then I had already crammed so much into unexpanded basic that I couldn't fit the simple if then command in that I needed to fix it.
Just taking a short glimpse at the code repitition of the two code blocks in lines 1110..1310 and 1510..1710 shows that putting those two blocks into a single subroutine and calling them with GOSUB should free enough space to insert this fix. :)
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Mike wrote:
R'zo wrote:By then I had already crammed so much into unexpanded basic that I couldn't fit the simple if then command in that I needed to fix it.
Just taking a short glimpse at the code repitition of the two code blocks in lines 1110..1310 and 1510..1710 shows that putting those two blocks into a single subroutine and calling them with GOSUB should free enough space to insert this fix. :)
I'll take a look at that. Thank you
R'zo
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Going to give this a go when I get home tonight ..

..always exciting when someone shares their first game for the Vic!
3^4 is 81.0000001
wimoos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by wimoos »

I discovered that a couple of nights ago as well. By then I had already crammed so much into unexpanded basic that I couldn't fit the simple if then command in that I needed to fix it. I really wanted to pruduce an enexpanded version so the exploit stayed. This will most likely be changed for the 8k version.
I converted the program to WimBasic and brought it back to 1810 bytes, 39 lines of code...and it's memory configuration independent !

Regards,

Wim.
VICE; selfwritten 65asmgen; tasm; maintainer of WimBasic
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I converted the program to WimBasic and brought it back to 1810 bytes, 39 lines of code...and it's memory configuration independent !

Regards,

Wim.
What is WimBasic?
R'zo
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

R'zo wrote:What is WimBasic?
WimBasic is a BASIC Extension.

It adds some new commands and functions to the CBM BASIC interpreter. For this, a program is loaded to a memory range not normally used by BASIC programs. *) When it is started, it wedges into the interpreter loop, checks whether its own commands or functions ought to be executed and, if so, refers to a set of routines inside itself that implement the new commands. Otherwise, control is given back to CBM BASIC until the next command of the program flow comes in.

You find further details in the thread 'New version of WimBasic'.

The extension was derived from a cartridge with ExBASIC Level II for the VIC-20, and re-worked by wimoos. Hence, WimBasic.

*) BLK5 at addresses $A000 .. $BFFF
wimoos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by wimoos »

What Mike said, plus:

- please check out http://wimbasic.webs.com for the latest release and up-to-date documentation.
- please check out BasEdit, which is a development environment for Commodore Basic programs (and, by the way, also supports WimBasic). You can find information on this forum.

Regards,

Wim.
VICE; selfwritten 65asmgen; tasm; maintainer of WimBasic
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Mayhem wrote:I don't think Facebook allow third party links to images, as they are not appearing for me (although the links are valid).
Fixed :)
R'zo
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I have been working on other projects and have not yet come up with the edited version of this program. I have had a couple of failed attempts at the edit and have decided that the whole thing can be written a little more efficiently. I plan on stripping the game down and doing a full rewrite as soon as I can find time.
R'zo
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

I have finally finished this game. The bug is fixed, the link has been updated. I Changed the name from Carboneater X to Drone x.
I ended up leaving game play as is and chose not to add any extra play features. I have many other games sitting in my head that need to be created for me to spend any more time working this one up.
I feel the need to give credit,
CBM PRG studio
PRG Starter
D64 editor
VICE
were all valuable tools in the creation and editing of this game.

Enjoy :D
R'zo