Boray Gammon (Now V2.0)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

nippur72
de Lagash

Re: Boray Gammon

Post by nippur72 »

and by the way, I just won my first game against Boray-Gammon's AI in Clever mode :D :D :D (proof in attachment).

I managed to fill most of the slots in my "home", so when I later hit a white piece, it was blocked for several rounds.

P.S. I got used to keyboard controls, the "undo" key is a life-saver.
Attachments
gammon.png
gammon.png (26.82 KiB) Viewed 2844 times
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

If someone would write a 9600 BAUD "driver" for configuring that ethernet device, Boray Gamon could be the first Vic game to off-load the "heavy lifting" to the cloud :idea:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I had never heard about TD-gammon before you mentioned it, but it seems the gammon programs of today have more or less evolved from that program.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

nippur72 wrote:and by the way, I just won my first game against Boray-Gammon's AI in Clever mode :D :D :D (proof in attachment).
Congrats! Now try a 7 point match (first to reach 7 points). :D
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

V1.31 is now released:
http://www.boray.se/commodore/gammon/

News in V1.31:
* "Clever Vic" wins least 20% more points when playing against the previous version.
* You can now save the game to continue later.
* Bugfix: The same player always started.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Boray wrote:* You can now save the game to continue later.
:) That's great! Thanks again!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

News in V1.32:
Bugfix, or rather an esthetical correction: A few letters from "PRESS PLAY ON TAPE" was left on the screen when loading a saved game from tape.

(It uses the same device as the game was loaded from by the way)
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Will check it ASAP :D

I also have some cool ideas to make a reasonably strong AI, I am tempted to make a version of mine of this game, but it's a long way.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

That would be something! No decent backgammon for vic-20 at all for decades, then suddenly two of them :-)
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Your is already rather good, it beats me on a regular basis. Even when I think I have an advantage, it's able to recover and revert the position!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

It's been great work so far, I can beat the middle AI most of the time, but I have a struggle against the best heh.

Also, I'm going to stop updating this in GB20 until you've completely finished tweaking it :P
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

would you consider highlighting the keys that allow a legal move? E.g. if (for selected dice) there are three possible moves, highlight their keys on the board. Just an idea.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I will think about it. Thanks!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

New release: V1.45:
* Keys for possible moves (with the selected dice) are now highlighted (idea by Nippur72). All other possible keys are also highlighted (return, P etc.)
* The improved AI wins 8% more points when playing against the previous version.
* If you have a checker on the bar and the first dice is blocked, then the dices are now switched automatically so that you can enter it more easily.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Very good!

And please stop improving the AI as I can't beat it anymore! :D

BTW, as a side project to do on the long term, would you consider providing an custom version of the game that is able to play against another opponent via serial port ? (see this other post). You could define a very simple protocol and read keys with GET # instead of GET.