Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Boray Gammon (Now V2.0)

Post by Boray »

Here:
http://www.boray.se/commodore/gammon/

I know that many people have never played backgammon before, so I had that in mind when I wrote the instructions.

I hope you like it!

Anders

Background thread:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... f=5&t=7332
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Boray Gammon

Post by orion70 »

Thank you so much Anders! Time to learn then!

Good job, I like new stuff for the VIC, and this is a classic - great board layout and sounds too. Looks OK even in shades of green :P

Please, add another entry in the Software Releases of 2015 thread.
malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by malcontent »

The AI is strong enough for me! The response time is very fast too. I really appreciate the controls, the way you use the dice, is much better than the typical "start,end" style most of the CBM backgammons use.

Some times it's a little difficult to tell just what move the computer made, as the animation is over very quick. It makes for speedy play however, which I like.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks! Any idea which CBM 8 bit backgammon have the stongest AI? Could be fun to challenge it.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I just released a small update for a bug you probably never would have encountered: If you wanted to play more than one game in a row with manual dice, it didn't ask which player should begin in between rounds. Now it does (V1.05).
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Oh, I'm glad you managed to complete it in the end! This has been in "suspended" status for a long time, if I remember well some previous posts of yours.

I like the simple text graphics with "green on green" theme. Very VIC-style! 8)

Although, back in the eighties, it would have had all of the most absurd colours of the rainbow! :D
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Doesn't look green here?? :mrgreen:
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Boray »

I'm developing the AI a bit more now, but I think I will keep the previous version available on the page as well as a beginner level version.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

joshuadenmark wrote:
Maybe we all have a green monitor in Italy :D
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Well, if there's room in the code for multiple AI, have a difficulty level choice (F7?).
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mayhem wrote:Well, if there's room in the code for multiple AI, have a difficulty level choice (F7?).
When thinking about it, there could be a quite easy way to make different difficulty levels, and a lot more stupid levels than the old version if one would like that, I will try it a bit...
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

orion70 wrote:
joshuadenmark wrote:
Maybe we all have a green monitor in Italy :D
Er... my fault! I thought that was a featured screenshot of the game, not a joke by Orion! :oops:

Not that it does any difference from my point of view: I use a black & white CRT mini-TV set with my friendly computer! :mrgreen:
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray Gammon V1.15 is released, with:
* Improved AI
* Three different players (difficulty levels)
* Bug fixes

The bars to the right illustrates how strong the players are. In other words: Clever Vic is about twice as good as Beginner Bo while Reckless Ray is somewhere in between. That Clever Vic is twice as good as Beginner Bo does not mean it always will win, but rather that if they play a 100 point match, Clever Vic will win and Bo will get around 50 points. (Yes, I've done that many times, running the VICE emulator at 3000% speed). The players have their own personalities. Bo is cautious like the beginner he is, while Reckless Ray is more... well... reckless.
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Nice addition, I like the funny names! 8)
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

It's polished, fairly intuitive to use and lends itself to the VIC screen layout very well.

I'm only a novice at backgammon, picked up a set at a local church sale a few years ago and the board comes out on a rainy day. I like the tactile experience of the real game - felt board and stones, but of course it doesn't provide an opponent for me to practice against..

The AI response of your game seems quite quick.
Was this written with a BASIC compiler or a version of C?
3^4 is 81.0000001