Boray Gammon (Now V2.0)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Boray Gammon

Post by Boray »

Today, I lost a 7 point match to Clever Vic with the smallest possible margin, 7-6 and just one checker left:

Found another close call in the camera as well, me winning with 7-6 a week ago:
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray Gammon is now the most popular 8 bit Commodore program on my homepage, with 112 downloads, followed by "Vic Menu 28" (111 downloads) and "lag" with 78 downloads (since Nov 2013).
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

regarding the 7-6 match:
malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by malcontent »

Off topic, but I've never seen a beige TAC2, looks snazzy.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It's supposed to be white... I guess it's the sun...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

My latest match was my biggest loss ever against Clever Vic:

... considering I've beaten the strongest AI in the world with 9-0.... Not bad for a 1 MHz computer! :D

Clever Vic still makes some apparent mistakes occasionally, but I think I will let it rest for now. So...
V1.45 is the final version! (At least for now :D)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I just realized two things:

#1 If you use a shared Cloud drive folder, you can play with a friend over the internet just by saving the game after each move. As an alternative to the cloud, you could send the file BGAMMONSAVED back and forth attached in an email.

#2 This is not the first "Boray Gammon" in history. Check this out:
(from year ca 2000: http://www.boray.se/bl_main.html )
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

I wonder if that could be hacked to have VIC play against gnugammon for hundred or thousand matches, in order to estimate the bounty of the AI.

If there was a standard protocol it could fight againts other VIC based AI. Perhaps we could have a competition for the best 8-bit backgammon AI :D
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Here is a somewhat amusing situation:

...resulting in my (probably) biggest win against Clever Vic ever:

Even though I won big this time, the intelligence of Clever Vic actually surprised me a couple of times during this match. For example, I once realized that I had to let him hit me if I should have a chance to win, so I put about 3 blots right in front of him, and he carefully avoided them all even if he could have hit. I'm not even sure why... and that was the one game he won...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

nippur72 wrote: If there was a standard protocol it could fight againts other VIC based AI. Perhaps we could have a competition for the best 8-bit backgammon AI :D
If you write a backgammon game and design a protocol like that, I will surely try to put it into boraygammon (if there is ram enough left). :D
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Today I played a 7 point match against Clever Vic. When I was in the lead with 6-0 I thought, hey, I'm gonna break my record and win easily with 7-0 and then I will go on and see how many points I can win before Vic wins a point, maybe I will score something like 9-0 and then I will post it in the Denial high score section, but... no... he started winning, he even scored a backgammon (3 points) and he evened up the score to 6-5 before I won a gammon. So the final score was 8-5. Oh well... There is something about that 7th point in a 7 point match...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

If I add up the scores from "our" last 6 matches, the score now is:
Clever Vic: 31
Anders: 39

Or in matches:
Clever Vic: 2
Anders: 4
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Has anyone (else) managed to win a 7 point match against Clever Vic yet? Or maybe a 5 point match?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I just broke my record and won with 7-0.

I've also won 11 seven point matches in a row now. I wonder how many I can manage.

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... h_Scores#B
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

7-0 wow, I still barely manage to make a win!