Boray Gammon (Now V2.0)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Boray Gammon

Post by Boray »

Note that you can add your score to the high-score page (and compete with others) even if you didn't win the match! For example, loosing with 5-7 against Clever Vic is still better than 3-7 or ...0-7!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote:I just broke my record and won with 7-0.

I've also won 11 seven point matches in a row now. I wonder how many I can manage.

http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/wiki ... h_Scores#B
I lost today (4-7) but managed to win 12 matches in a row before that. Probably a hard record to beat. :P
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Just to note, there's a tiny box about the game in the homebrew section of the current issue of Retro Gamer...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mayhem wrote:Just to note, there's a tiny box about the game in the homebrew section of the current issue of Retro Gamer...
Nice! Any chance you can scan that for me?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Or a picture with a smart phone will do.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Yeah, can do that, when I get back home (currently out this weekend).
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

:)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Here is something me and my mother have tested out for about a month:
http://boray.se/commodore/gammon/bgammonwin.zip

It's Boray Gammon with a Windows environment: VICE emulator + help program for playing with an opponent over a network/shared folder. Double click start.exe to start.

The help program contains help for the emulator/vic novice on how to play against the computer, and how to play with an opponent over the internet. The program checks if the opponent has made a move and then pops up boray gamon and plays a sound for you to make your move.

The program is in Swedish for swedes and (hopefully) in English for the rest of you.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Source for the help program if anyone is interested:

Code: Select all

Public Class Form1
    Shared last As String = ""
    Shared ao As String = "VICE är väl redan öppet?"

Private Sub Timer1_Tick(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Timer1.Tick
        If BackgroundWorker1.IsBusy Then Exit Sub

Try
            Dim a As String = My.Computer.FileSystem.ReadAllText("vice\BGAMMONSAVED")
            If (a <> last) And (a <> "") Then
                go()
            End If
        Catch ex As Exception

End Try

End Sub

Sub go()
        If Not BackgroundWorker1.IsBusy Then
            Me.Focus()
            Me.BringToFront()
            Me.WindowState = FormWindowState.Minimized
            Me.WindowState = FormWindowState.Normal
            Me.Update()
            BackgroundWorker1.RunWorkerAsync()
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Shown(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Shown
        Timer1.Enabled = True
        go()
    End Sub

Private Sub Button1_Click(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click
        If BackgroundWorker1.IsBusy Then
            MsgBox(ao)
        Else
            go()
        End If
    End Sub

Private Sub BackgroundWorker1_DoWork(sender As System.Object, e As System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) Handles BackgroundWorker1.DoWork

My.Computer.Audio.Play("vice\bghelper.wav")
        Shell("vice\xvic.exe vice\boraygammon.prg", AppWinStyle.NormalFocus, True)

Try
            last = My.Computer.FileSystem.ReadAllText("vice\BGAMMONSAVED")
            Me.WindowState = FormWindowState.Minimized
        Catch ex As Exception

End Try

End Sub

Private Sub Form1_Load(sender As System.Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        If Not My.Computer.Info.InstalledUICulture.DisplayName.ToLower.Contains("svenska") Then
            Button1.Text = "Open the game"
            Me.Text = "gammon help"
            ao = "VICE is already open?"
            RichTextBox1.Text = Form2.RichTextBox1.Text
        End If
    End Sub

End Class

joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Great package - out of the box Boray Gammon - Can recommend this, as it's so easy to start.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by Boray »

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Ah yeah, sorry, forgot about doing that when I got home. Least someone else was able to cover...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

No worries, I wouldn't have known about it without you. Thanks!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

New Release: V1.52
http://www.boray.se/commodore/gammon/

News:
* The AI routine for racing home ("run") was improved, resulting in 15% more points won in the long run against V1.45.
* When someone wins, it now shows which AI player you played against as well as the program version number. This so that you can take a picture and show off your high score. Pictures from previous versions doesn't tell much in this aspect.

I also run a test game against gnu backgammon, which now rates boray gammon as "Expert":

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

New release V1.68
http://www.boray.se/commodore/gammon/

News in V1.68:
* The running home algorithm was improved a bit more.
* Bugfix 1: The AI got stuck at a certain board condition. ( http://museum.boray.se/#!album-10-28 ) The bug must have been there since the speed improvements in V1.21.
* Bugfix 2: Running forever could have resulted in a stack overflow error (bug introduced in V1.52).
* A few visual changes.