Boray Gammon (Now V2.0)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Boray Gammon

Post by Boray »

nippur72 wrote: And please stop improving the AI as I can't beat it anymore! :D
Well, I win over it with a score around 7-2 every time so I wonder if I've actually made it worse instead... :lol:
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

Nice mods with 1.45, now it's a very polished product (only missing thing is definable characters)

The more I play the more I get good at this game, now I'm able to let it not score a gammon but win 1 single point only :-(

Out of curiosity, what is the winning ratio of your AI against a total random player?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

nippur72 wrote: Out of curiosity, what is the winning ratio of your AI against a total random player?
My guess would be 100%
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

...at least rounded. There could always be a chance that random movements could move exactly as a grandmaster, but oh... 99.999999999999% then :lol:
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

I asked because it tells how much the game is governed by chance and not by player's skill.

For example here we have a card game that most think "skill" is required... but actually the best player is beaten 30% of the time by a random player!

BTW, I just won my first game (single point). Last time I won was with the old AI version.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote:
nippur72 wrote: And please stop improving the AI as I can't beat it anymore! :D
Well, I win over it with a score around 7-2 every time so I wonder if I've actually made it worse instead... :lol:
I had a bit more trouble tonight though... Just barely winning a 7-point match:

malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by malcontent »

Any chance for the alternate scoring system where the number of opponents checkers left is the value of a game?
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

I just won BY ONE SINGLE PIECE !!
screen.jpg
screen.jpg (62.39 KiB) Viewed 4454 times
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

malcontent wrote:Any chance for the alternate scoring system where the number of opponents checkers left is the value of a game?
I've never heard about that.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

One more question about the AI in this amazing game: I've noticed that VIC "thinks" even on the second roll of the die... does it mean that your evaluation function works at move level and not turn level?

With "turn level" I mean making a list of all possible 2-moves at the beginning of the turn, and the acting accordingly. Perhaps there are too many moves and the VIC can't evaluate them all in short time?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Well, the routine giving a score for every combination takes either 1 or 2 dices (which is natural if one of the two dices are blocked), but to make up for the fact that the routine can't take 4 or three dices (in the case of doubles) I have a special hit routine which can use in between 1 to 4 dices to hit a checker in some situations. (I would have done the same as a human player). Depending on how many dices that are used for the hit, the other routine will take care of the rest afterwards. I think this is what you have observed. In some cases, maybe just one dice is used for the hit, then there are 3 dices left. The next two are fed to the main routine and, then, the last dice is also fed to the main routine.
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

an idea for Boray Gammon:

- enumerate games via their random seeds (e.g. game #12345687)
- show game# somewhere
- allow to start a game by entering its game #

Game# allows to play the same game twice, or exchange it over internet (email, forum, etc).

Just an idea.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Thanks
nippur72
de Lagash

Post by nippur72 »

another idea (don't take them too seriously, just free thinking, I don't expect them to be implemented :) )

what about this: holding C= key shows the destination slots for the current dice.

For example: current dice is "1" and the only legal move is from "Q" to "W". Then holding C= should print "Q" in the "W" slot, so that you know that when pressing "Q" the piece goes there.

As I play it in the emulator, I help myself with the mouse pointer (counting slots), but having a key would be better (I guess).

P.S. I managed to win my first 2 points game :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I have thought about color coding the destinations someway. But I gave that up. I point my finger at the screen sometimes. Another thing that helps is that every other point is colored black and blue, so depending on if the dice is even or odd it's easier to see where it would land. (A tip that works on a real board as well).