Unreleased Bally/Midway Games?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

brightboy
Vic 20 Newbie

Unreleased Bally/Midway Games?

Post by brightboy »

I recently acquired a lot of my old Commodore stuff (VIC-20/C-64) from parents basement
and naturally it jogged memories of my youth.

I recall having some VIC-20 8K cartridge ROM images on cassette of Pac-Man, Space Invaders and
a few other Atari games. However, these were not the piss-poor, commercially available Atarisoft
versions of the games. Rather, these were the Bally/Midway versions that were never released/sold
because Atarisoft had the rights to the "home" market in the USA and Bally/Miway had the rights to
the "arcade" market in the USA. We used to run them on an 8K RAM cartridge with the addressing
dip-switches set so that the memory was mapped to the cartridge area.

Does anyone else recall these versions?

I did some cursory Googling today to see if references/archives of these exist but I haven't
found anything conclusive.

Brightboy
brightboy
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Unreleased Bally/Midway Games?

Post by brightboy »

Update: I finally found my box of cassette tapes and 5.25" disks for the VIC-20 (and C-64)

After more research, I'm beginning to think what I had were the Hal Labs versions of PacMan
and the like, that were released in the Japanese market.

Hopefully my machines/peripherals still work and my media is still readable so I can sort
out my memories.

Brightboy
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Weren't the HAL labs games released by commodore e.g. Jelly Monsters et al?

http://www.commodore.ca/history/people/ ... omczyk.htm
fsporsche
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by fsporsche »

Hello,

I am also a collector of commodore vic-20 games from the bally midway/ Atari days. is there a way you can send me the PRG files so I can test and evaluate whats there. I also have a few and would share what I have.

thanks

Fred