Reversi - what the heck??!

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

pitcalco
just pitcalco

Reversi - what the heck??!

Post by pitcalco »

Lately, I have been digging into some of the more puzzle and board-game type games found on the Mega-cart. In particular, I have been playing a lot of Four Thought (essentially, Connect Four) trying to discover an algorithm as how always to win the game (apparently, there is one, just like there is for Noughts and Crosses, or Tic-Tac-Toe, but it is clearly more complicated).

However, when playing Reversi, the games ends almost as quickly as it starts. You get the first move. VIC then follows by invariably playing the same lousy move afterwards, and then on your second move you can play and turn all the chips to your colour. Then, there is no move the computer can make at all, but it will nevertheless go through the slow motions of thinking out a move, concluding that no move is possible and then allowing you to play the next chip. Thing is, the computer will never be able to make a move and you end up slowly filling out the entire board one-by-one with your own chips. Only then does the game end.

Was this a flaw in the programming? Did something else go wrong in the design of Reversi. It is pretty dull game if it basically lets you win right from the start. :(
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Reversi - what the heck??!

Post by ravenxau »

Is it written in basic?..if so, it's proabably one of thos computer magazine type-ins. In which case there is most likele an error in the A.I. routine.
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Re: Reversi - what the heck??!

Post by pitcalco »

It looks like it was written in BASIC judging by the appearance. It is on a cartridge so I cannot get into the program itself.
The other game I mentioned, Four Thought, is on the same cartridge that looks like it is in BASIC too, but it is much more clever in its execution.

There are so many excellent programs on the Mega-cart. It would be a real shame if Reversi were the one dud.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany