Now that I have a Vic

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Beardedmike
Vic 20 Newbie

Now that I have a Vic

Post by Beardedmike »

Since I just got my hands on my first Vic I can't wait to sit with it and play same games. :lol:

But where to start?

What are your "go to" games?
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Now that I have a Vic

Post by CBR125R »

Omega Race for sure. The VIC has a conversion that is actually quite faithful to the arcade.
I like pretty much any of the Atarisoft games. I also like Jeff Minter's games, such as Gridrunner.
Parker Bros put out a Q*bert that is good.

You might try using Google to track down a multicart or check out the VIC-20 Mega-Cart:
http://www.mega-cart.com/

I have a Mega-Cart and love it, but they often have a long wait time for purchase.
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

Everyone talks about Omega Race, and I agree it is quite an exciting game, but there is a serious learning curve when it comes to the controls. I suppose it is truer to the realities of physics as they would apply to controlling a spacecraft a vacuum and in weightlessness, but it does take a while to get the hang of it.

I wonder if it would not have been more appropriate for the paddle, as opposed to the joystick, being the controller.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

My personal favorites : Shamus and Carling The Spider
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

I like Carling the Spider a lot. I've been waiting for the C64 follow-up since it was first mentioned in 2009.

There are lots of games I could recommend, but I'll try and stick to ones that are reasonably accessible to new users:

Raid on Fort Knox (play Return to Fort Knox if and when you get a Mega-Cart)
Radar Rat Race (clone of Rally X where you drive a mouse instead of a truck, play VIC Rally X on MC)
Jetpac (classic and readily available on tape, if you're serious about collecting tape games you'll pick up three or four copies without even trying)
Traxx (my favourite Jeff Minter game)
Shark Attack (one of my favourite games, but the Romik tapes don't come up that often)
Moons of Jupiter (great Asteroids clone, but also Romik so less common)
Beast of Eden (great little collect-em-up, but not very easy to find)
Arcadia (ultra hard space shoot-em-up that will really test your arcade gaming skills, very common game)
Blitz (released as City Bomber in North America, signature game on the VIC)
Flight Zero One Five (neat but primitive flight simulator if you want something a bit more cerebral)
Mickey the Bricky (neat Donkey Kong clone with catchy music)

Mastertronic is your friend. Lots of good games like Rockman, New York Blitz, Phantom Attack and Psycho Shopper and they're all common as muck. The Scott Adams adventure games (The Count, Adventure Land) are also a staple on the VIC and they're quite common on cartridge.

And don't be afraid to give the programming a go. You might not make any hit games or do much more than make a ball bounce around the screen, but it can still be a lot of fun. The standard user manual is enough to get you started.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

CBR125R wrote:You might try using Google to track down a multicart or check out the VIC-20 Mega-Cart...
Heh, the VIC-20 Multicart/Development Cart info can be found right here. See the thread at

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... =multicart

And the website is at

http://www.gamingenterprisesinc.com/vic20/

Both versions should be currently available,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://www.dickestel.com/fcug.htm
July 18-19 Commodore Vegas Expo v11 2015 --
http://www.portcommodore.com/commvex
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

My recomendations:

- Super Lander
- Gridrunner
- Jelly Monsters
- Choplifter
- Gorf
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

If you love RPGs: Sword of Fargoal by EPYX.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

pitcalco wrote:Everyone talks about Omega Race,

I wonder if it would not have been more appropriate for the paddle, as opposed to the joystick, being the controller.
You CAN play it with paddles, but I DO prefer to play it with joystick.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
pitcalco
just pitcalco

Post by pitcalco »

I'll have to give it a try.
There are only three kinds of people in the world: those who can count and those who can't.

Paul Lambert
Berlin
Federal Republic of Germany
Stormcrow
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Stormcrow »

How do you thrust forward with paddles?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Hold down the button
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
gsoravil
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by gsoravil »

It never really gets good reviews, but my single favorite game to just have some quick fun is the VIC-20 port of Centipede. I just find the controls and pace of the VIC version is just perfect for me.

I do believe it's also on the Mega-Cart. If you are considering a Mega-Cart, they are truly awesome.

Greg
Greg
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

gsoravil wrote:It never really gets good reviews, but my single favorite game to just have some quick fun is the VIC-20 port of Centipede. I just find the controls and pace of the VIC version is just perfect for me.
I really like the VIC version of Centipede (and it's one of the mass produced Atarisoft carts so it shouldn't be too hard to source), but I still prefer the controls and pace of the Atari 2600 version.

The OP should also look out for other Atarisoft ports like Dig Dug, Donkey Kong and Ms Pac-Man. As a general rule, anything made by Commodore or Atarisoft will have been mass-produced and is therefore a lot more available.

The Mega Cart is a brilliant resource, but it's not a viable short-term option (many people have waited over a year for their order to be fulfilled; each cart is hand-made on a non-profit basis by one guy with a soldering iron) which is why I've limited my recommendations to games that people should be able to source online without too much difficulty.

If you want to increase your game library in the short-term, I can recommend an SD2IEC (also compatible with the C64) and a switchable 16/32k expansion (I believe it's possible to make one for yourself if you look online for the schematics) which will enable you to run PRG and D64 files on the real hardware.
stinkyox
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by stinkyox »

Spiders of Mars is a jolly good horizontally scrolling shooter.