Post by darkatx »

:::Thumbs up::::
Learning all the time... :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Re: Backgammon

Post by Boray »

Thanks everyone for the input!

I have it working as a two player game now, while removing all blocked dice by itself and forcing the players to follow the rules. So now it's time to work on the game play AI. I have it more or less planned out though so I hope it will work at least by beating me from time to time.

I plan 3 game modes:
human vs computer,
human vs human and
computer vs computer.

I also think I will add the option of manual dice so that it can play against other programs.

But I have no plans to include doubling.

malcontent wrote: I like the idea you have for the keyboard, but it got me thinking, why break up the sides, there are 12 keys along the top two rows of the keyboard.
That was my idea at first, but then I realized that it would not work on my Swedish keyboard Vic-20. This will. Having four key sections for the four board sections feels pretty natural as well.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

MILESTONE 1: IT WON OVER ME! Even while I still have to work out a bunch of bugs (or misbehavior), it just won over me!

PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Looking good (even though I can't play).

Keep going.. :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

It's easy to learn.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote:I put them here for you:
http://www.boray.se/gammon/gammon_bug-byte.prg
http://www.boray.se/gammon/gammon-compute.prg

I think I remember another one though. Not sure. I didn't play backgammon back then.
I've gone through the old tapes now and, yep, here is the one I remembered:

Download:
http://www.boray.se/gammon/band7bg.prg
(16K RAM needed)

Unfortunately, this game cheats! ...or more precisely: The programmer didn't know the game rules, so this isn't really backgammon. For example: If your dice shows 4 and 3, this program allows you to move a 7 without middle landing on 4 or 3, so you can easily jump over any blockade. I think it's a bit sad that the programmer didn't know the rules or took the time to learn them. Especially since he made made an effort to explain the rules in the game. The picture also shows an error: You can never start with a double. I haven't played this game through. I stopped when it cheated ;)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Since this thread now is around 70% Vic related, I moved it from "other systems" to "games".
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Boray wrote:I've gone through the old tapes now and, yep, here is the one I remembered:
Any idea what the origin of this one is (programmer, year, publisher etc) so I can enter it into GB20?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

All I can say is that it's not after 1983 and it seems to be a german programmer. If you run it, break it and list it, you can see some remarks in german. The design and colours resembles backgammon on the early atari consoles.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Boray wrote:To play against real players over the internet:
http://XXXXXXXXXXXXX (BGROOM)
You can either play with fake money for free or for real money. This is probably THE online backgammon program. You will find someone to play with in a matter of seconds. A lot more people are playing with fake money than for real. I've tried to play for real money but I don't think that's my game. I get kind of stressed out and only think that I HAVE TO WIN HAVE TO WIN even if I play for just one dollar. Anyway, the program is said to check if you run any other backgammon software on your computer to cheat but I guess it can't check if you run it on another computer at the same time. But there is also a time limit for each move so I guess it would be a bit hard to cheat anyway.
I take this back!!! A BIG WARNING FOR BGROOM! I just lost my money because of a pretty dishonest inactivity policy they have. If you are inactive for 90 days, they will charge you 5 dollars per month until your money is gone. They send out no warning about this before the 90 days have past. They don't inform you when they have done it. They just silently take your money every month. It's written in the 10 page long terms and conditions though. Nice! Good thing I only had 20 dollars there, but... STAY OUT of that place!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Here is my best tip if you want to play backgammon with someone over the net:
http://www.simplybg.com

It's web based and works in any browser, even on a smatphone. I've played over 70 matches there now and it's very nice, playing vs my wife, my mother and the guy who made the site. You can leave a match at any time to come back at a different time so me and my wife actually prefers this over a real backgammon board.

If you want to play a match against me there, please let me know.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Check out my latest backgammon project:
http://boray.se/gammon/linearlink.html
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Wow, congrats on this! If properly crafted, it may end up to be great to play with, but also a nice ornament for everyone's living room.