Llamasoft Hell Gate, off centered on all NTSC systems?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

CannibalCat
Vic 20 Drifter

Llamasoft Hell Gate, off centered on all NTSC systems?

Post by CannibalCat »

Hello,

Just did a TAP2WAV transfer to a real cassette this past weekend of Hell Gate by Jeff Minter and the screen is far off center and I can't really tell if there is some key combo to center it manually or not, or is this just how it is for NTSC VICs?

Thanks,
Rich
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: Llamasoft Hell Gate, off centered on all NTSC systems?

Post by Mayhem »

Considering it's a PAL only game I believe, with no screen centring controls, then you're probably SOOL.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
CannibalCat
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CannibalCat »

Mayhem wrote:Considering it's a PAL only game I believe, with no screen centring controls, then you're probably SOOL.
That's what I thought, thanks for the info!
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I downloaded Hell Gate from here: ftp://ftp.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/vic20/gam ... llgate.prg. Then, after loading the game, but before running it, do these two POKEs:

Code: Select all

POKE 6928,2
POKE 6945,8
... to create a version that's (hopefully) centered for NTSC on your monitor. You might try values 1..3 for the horizontal alignment in the first POKE, and 6..10 for the vertical alignment in the second POKE. And save away the modified version, so you don't have to reenter the POKEs.
Mayhem wrote:Considering it's a PAL only game I believe, with no screen centring controls, then you're probably SOOL.
Yeah. Or not? :roll:
CannibalCat
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CannibalCat »

[quote="Mike"]I downloaded Hell Gate from here: ftp://ftp.zimmers.net/pub/cbm/vic20/gam ... llgate.prg. Then, after loading the game, but before running it, do these two POKEs:

Code: Select all

POKE 6928,2
POKE 6945,8
... to create a version that's (hopefully) centered for NTSC on your monitor. You might try values 1..3 for the horizontal alignment in the first POKE, and 6..10 for the vertical alignment in the second POKE. And save away the modified version, so you don't have to reenter the POKEs.

Ok cool, I'll give this a shot later...thanks man.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Mike wrote:Yeah. Or not? :roll:
Based on running the real TAP/tape, as CC said he used TAP2WAV, then that's what my comment was based on. The game has a short loader, which then takes the rest of the code off the tape and auto starts iirc. So you wouldn't be able to type in POKEs before running. As you state, you would be able to perform some jiggery-POKEry if you used the one-filed PRG instead.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Mayhem wrote:
Mike wrote:Yeah. Or not? :roll:
Based on running the real TAP/tape, as CC said he used TAP2WAV, then that's what my comment was based on.
The difference being, that while your first post in this thread was of no help at all, I at least gave a working solution for the *.prg file at zimmers.

Furthermore, you couldn't really infer from the use of TAP2WAV, that CannibalCat actually used a *.tap file made from the original game. It could quite as well been produced by a emulator save of above *.prg into a *.tap
The game has a short loader, which then takes the rest of the code off the tape and auto starts iirc. So you wouldn't be able to type in POKEs before running. As you state, you would be able to perform some jiggery-POKEry if you used the one-filed PRG instead.
Whatever. I am quite confident, that I could provide a pre-boot loader, which then would take control over the original (fast?) loader and autostart of the original tape, apply the POKEs, and then start the game.

But in just that case here, I can't anymore be bothered.

Good night.
Imperious
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Imperious »

The Original Poster here was polite at all times, so seems a bit unfair that this ended as abruptly as it did.

That's just my 2c, but given how small a community this is, we don't want it getting smaller.
CannibalCat
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by CannibalCat »

Imperious wrote:The Original Poster here was polite at all times, so seems a bit unfair that this ended as abruptly as it did.

That's just my 2c, but given how small a community this is, we don't want it getting smaller.

No worries man! All good.