VIC Games NTSC and PAL

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

thecollector
Vic 20 Drifter

VIC Games NTSC and PAL

Post by thecollector »

About to purchase my first ever Vic 20! and have a question regarding NTSC and PAL as I understand there can be some issues with certain games.

Just wondering how widespread this is, as I would like to purchase some cartridge games from the USA, but as I am based in the UK, and have a Pal VIC, just wondering if there will be a problem ?
Or is this nothing to worry about! :?:

Also on another note, any ideas welcome on the first VIC game I should purchase ? I am considering one of the following cartridge games at the moment, Buck Rogers, Donkey Kong, Pole Position, Frogger and Omega Race.

I will be getting a SD2IEC so will have access to loads of games for the VIC, but will also be looking to build up a nice little collection of the original releases.

So any first game recommendations appreciated! :)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: VIC Games NTSC and PAL

Post by English Invader »

As far as I know, there isn't much variation in the UK and US cart libraries so you might as well stick to PAL for better compatibility.

Ideally, you want the Mega-Cart but the waiting list for that is very long (over a year for some people) so best to get a switchable 32k expansion (I believe it's actually possible to make one for yourself) to complement your SD2IEC (which will run a few cart games that have been adapted for PRG) and a nice collection of common originals.

These are some of the cart games I recommend:

Omega Race
Raid on Fort Knox (also check out the enhanced Return to Fort Knox when you get an SD2IEC)
Gorf
Radar Rat Race (would like to recommend the Rally X port it's based on but that's very rare)
Centipede
Dragonfire (uncommon but runs on SD2IEC)
Demon Attack (uncommon but runs on SD2IEC)
Keyquest (very rare but runs on SD2IEC)
Garden Wars
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Alternatively you could get yourself an FE3 wich does the same as MegaCart plus has a SD2IEC built in and 512K Ram and 512KB Flash ROM.

It does not come preinstalled as MegaCart does but you can download a games collection that has almost all the carts and tape games.

Or get your own Ram Pack and an Infinity drive with ITS that loads from SD card and has TAP file support.

I use FE3 with Infinity for 2 virtual 1540 drives and tape support.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
thecollector
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by thecollector »

Thanks for the replies.

I tend to move pretty quick once I've decided I want something - like the Vic! So I am already on the list for a megacart! and it will be about a year.

I did hear about the FE3 but I decided to just go for a SD2IEC only in the meantime.

Thanks again. :)
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I have some boxed shrinkwrapped Atari carts if you are interested and a bunch of other tapes and loose carts.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready