Working version of Adventure?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

SK-Vic20
Vic 20 Newbie

Working version of Adventure?

Post by SK-Vic20 »

Hi all,

I think, everyone of us has a 'first game' that he played and completed as his first game. For me it was the maze game 'Adventure' at the VIC20.
Feeling nostalgic I wanted to replay it. And i found a version that could be started with the VICE 2.4 emulator.

But this game doesn't work. There seem to be an error (or it can't work with the emulator). The map is broken and brings up an error and the game couldn't be finished (attched the map).
Maybe there was a problem when transferring it from the VIC20 to PC?

So I want to ask, if anyone has a other (working) version in his collection and can share it? Would be great!

Best regards

Stephan
Attachments
Map
Map
Adventure_map.jpg (148.64 KiB) Viewed 1376 times
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Working version of Adventure?

Post by orion70 »

Hi Stephan, welcome to the forum :). I have tried the game using your map and following the video here, and yes, it's possibly corrupted. The player in the video (Andy Hewitt) seems to be stuck with another problem: he can't pick up the black key past the green castle's gate. The only comment posted says that maybe he should drop the green key, but assuming that the rules are the same as Atari's version, you can pick the black key up immediately, so probably here's another bug.

As for your problem, it seems that the screen contains a part of the cyan castle's right tower, so I wonder if there's a cyan key somewhere and if it will open something also in this screen.

So my question is: has anyone instructions for it? The map is simplified compared to Atari's (all mazes are the same), and there are no redefined characters - which is too bad. Someone should take this game, polish it, improve graphics, correct bugs, provide instuctions, upload everything, and make me a coffee, please :mrgreen: .
SK-Vic20
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Working version of Adventure?

Post by SK-Vic20 »

Thanks for the link with the video!

Good to know that some others also want to play this game. Maybe some think that's a little boring... but hey, I like maze games.

Some hints:
- There are some annoying 'monsters' (moving blocks) in the game that make it nearly unplayable, because you have to start all over again when you didn't manage to pass them.
To get rid of them just press Run/Stop key after the game has started. Then you can list the basic part of the game.
Just change line 61000 to:
61000 RETURN
Press 'Enter' and type RUN again. The game starts new (better make a snapshot now) and now you can pass the monsters.

- You can't drop the key anywhere. You have to go back with it in the room from where you got it. There you drop it with the fire button.
After that go back to the new key, pick it up and go on that way. But after receiving the blue key, you can't open the blue castle, but only the corrupted cyan castle and the game stucks...

So I am still looking for a working version...