WIP: Ten Ten revision 3

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: WIP: Ten Ten revision 3

Post by Jeff-20 »

tokra wrote:Definitely Shift-Lock - which means you can actually pause the game and take a break. Holding the fire-button down isn't gonna help if you need a potty-break.
No need for in-game pause
:lol:
Actually, it was hold fire to enter pause mode and press fire again to resume game. So, you could put the joystick down. But I like the tactile shift lock key. Since every player is in arms reach of the keyboard, I guess the fire button is no more convenient.

I'm considering Misfit's suggestion of color variations, but that's what made the second revision a bit confusing. Has anyone played Tetris Worlds? The simple concept is ruined by too many special effects and visuals. It's a difficult balance, but I can't let extra memory go to waste. :wink:
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

rhurst wrote:I can just feel that we're finally going to make Jeff use memory expansion and code in machine language! :lol:
Doubtful. If even inspiration by example :wink: doesn't work, much less would feature requests regarding a game which is essentially perfect in its simplicity.

@Vic 2000: How about going to the blackboard and trying to write a VIC-20 game for yourselves? Just so you get how your requests might be taken by others?

Jeff, over the time I kept a copy of the original version of Ten Ten. Your description how that one came to 'life' is just priceless. :D
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Jeff-20 wrote:I'm considering Misfit's suggestion of color variations, but that's what made the second revision a bit confusing.
yes, it is possible that extra colors are confusing.
But I like if game provides something extra graphics etc. when I beat new levels.

.. but good job btw. :D
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Mike wrote:@Vic 2000: How about going to the blackboard and trying to write a VIC-20 game for yourselves? Just so you get how your requests might be taken by others?
I deal with lots of things, from blogging, making music, taking photos, picture editing, climate research, philosophy, history and much more. Programming isn't simply my thing. I even worked as a programmer in mid 90's writing applications for Windows using Visual Basic (novadays visual studio) for a small computer company in a neighbour town.

The only thing i enjoyed was the graphical design. I could sit for hours and just experiment using different colours, borders, fields, menues etc and really enjoy myself. The boring part (for me) was the coding. To connect at graphical shell of a database to access, and such stuff.

Belive me, if i was interested in coding, i would have write games for both Atari ST, Atari 800 and Vic-20 long ago. :)

Coding isn't simply my thing and if you are about to deal with something new, like retro computer programming, the interest must be there, else you won't do a good job.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Vic 2000 wrote:The boring part (for me) was the coding. To connect at graphical shell of a database to access, and such stuff.
I concur. Quite often coding is just a mechanic, straightforward task. Database programming being the most obvious example to that class. However, in other cases it is also possible to express your creativity in writing programs, like one can do with music, poetry, photography, painting and other activities. You might just missed out on this facet by taking your experience as whole what programming is about.
Vic 2000
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Vic 2000 »

Mike wrote:I concur. Quite often coding is just a mechanic, straightforward task. Database programming being the most obvious example to that class. However, in other cases it is also possible to express your creativity in writing programs, like one can do with music, poetry, photography, painting and other activities. You might just missed out on this facet by taking your experience as whole what programming is about.
I remember the first book my boss handed too me the first day. ;)

Then he said. - Read it to see if you can use something in the book.

He didn't always liked my unconventional way to create database apps and said more then once. - It must look like Windows standard. Sometimes (after complaining) he could ask me, Hmmm, how did you fix that problem? It was when he was unable to solve it himself. :D

Coding

Yes i'm aware of that that. Even math is for some people a beautiful form of art. I can understand that programming is both fun and creative for those who deal with it. Solve problems, developing new ways of doing things better, optimize code, save memory, improve speed, use colours, shapes, animations and much more.

Like one (black and white) photographer once said...

Colours don't speak to me

Unfortanly coding is about the same thing for me, i can't feel the fun in coding, it's too logical even if the result feels way more artistic for me.

Until i was about 25 years old, my whole life was about sounds, colours and shapes and it wasn't until i got older that i begin to use the left brain a bit more. My mother was an artist, my brother is a musician, my granny was a musician and artist as well, my grandpa an inventor and artist blacksmith, and so on.

When playing guitar, i deal with something that feels anything but logic. There's isn't any logic in playing guitar, just feelings. And that's the way i'm used too work.

Perhaps i can think up some ideas for new type of games, that would be more my thing.
Attachments
71CYB6SAGTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.gif.jpg
71CYB6SAGTL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.gif.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 1550 times
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Updated original post with this: Ten Ten (rev3.3).prg

It now has a shift lock pause that can be pressed at anytime but only pauses the next time the clock has stopped. Is that too confusing? It seemed like the best way to do it in my play experience. Would love feedback on this feature.

Each time I add something, the code gets crunched a little more leaving free memory. It's not enough for an instruction screen (do we need one?) I suppose I could add a date or something. I'm still unhappy with line 25 and line 33 because the go over the editable line limit in BASIC. If you see any place to optimize the code, I'm open to suggestions.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Misfit wrote:Or if you could add "next level, press fire" screen between levels?
Sounds like the most elegant and logical solution.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)