Release: Pooyan

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Release: Pooyan

Post by beamrider »

Hi All

After a long hard slog - I'm pleased to be able to finally release my version of Pooyan for the Vic-20 with 16K memory expansion. :D

It can be downloaded at the following link:

Original Version
Pooyan20.prg

Update in 2015 (see below)
Pooyan20-2015.prg

I'd like to thank:

Robert Hurst -for the excellent Software Sprite stack (and support thereof) - without which it would have been a much bigger job and I might not have got started.

Arthur Jordison - for CBMPrg studio which I used to create the graphics

Denial forum members - (notably Mike) for answering 6502 questions

My wife for helping creating the spreadsheet to generate data for the projectile trajectories (and not complaining that I spent so much time on the computer)

[edit 01/01/2014]
I've uploaded a new version in the above link - this contains a few bug fixes and a slight speed improvement.

Barring any major issues this will probably be the final release. I wanted to add more features from the arcade version (different coloured balloons, end of level cut scenes etc) but I have run out of memory and I don't want make it need 24K and thus difficult for most people to play on real hardware.

[edit 02/01/2014]

After some testing yesterday on reflection I thought that the second stage was too easy and got a little dull so I've made it a bit more challenging. To compensate you get an extra life (max 5) after passing each bonus level and the difficulty is increased.

[edit 24/05/2015]
I've add a new version for 2015 based on improvements to the Sprite library as mentioned in this thread.
- fixed sprite artifacts
- flashing meat as per arcade
- slight speed improvements
- fixed long standing bug of bonuses getting stuck on screen

Enjoy!
Adrian

Last edited by beamrider on Sun Mar 04, 2018 8:23 am, edited 19 times in total.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: Release: Pooyan

Post by Mayhem »

Bug #1: "Forest" only has one "R" ;)

I look forward to downloading this and giving it a whirl... I've played quite a lot of the original arcade Pooyan so will see how it compares...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Mayhem wrote:Bug #1: "Forest" only has one "R" ;)

I look forward to downloading this and giving it a whirl... I've played quite a lot of the original arcade Pooyan so will see how it compares...
Thanks for quick reply .. now corrected :)

I'd been looking at the arcade screenshot and for some reason read it as two R's
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Maybe you thought of "Forrest Gump" :D

Great Game! Nice fluent gameplay, great music and sound effects. And thanks to multi-color-mode, no color-clash. Who doesn't love those extra-wide pixels? Reminds me of the old Atari-cartridges for the VIC.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Nice! :D

When I played a second stint (and I did considerably better than on my first try), the game didn't update the high-score display.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Mike wrote:Nice! :D

When I played a second stint (and I did considerably better than on my first try), the game didn't update the high-score display.
Ok, that should hopefully be fixed now.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

btw I am already aware of the following bugs and plan to address in due course - (but I don't think they detract too much)

- popup bonus scores are occasionally left behind on-screen
- sometimes a slight delay after clearing wolves before progressing to next level
- hit testing on rocks hitting Pooyan sometimes lets you live when you shouldn't - although this might not be a bad thing otherwise it could be too difficult
- in rising stage - if all four wolves arrive at top of the screen at the same time then the rock is pushed 4 steps forward in one go
- when wolf has a small balloon on rising stage a large balloon is momentarily shown when defending from arrows
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

beamrider wrote:btw I am already aware of the following bugs and plan to address in due course - (but I don't think they detract too much)

- popup bonus scores are occasionally left behind on-screen
- sometimes a slight delay after clearing wolves before progressing to next level
- hit testing on rocks hitting Pooyan sometimes lets you live when you shouldn't - although this might not be a bad thing otherwise it could be too difficult
- in rising stage - if all four wolves arrive at top of the screen at the same time then the rock is pushed 4 steps forward in one go
- when wolf has a small balloon on rising stage a large balloon is momentarily shown when defending from arrows

I've fixed most of these and uploaded a new version in the original post.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Updated again - see OP
bloguidice
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by bloguidice »

Fantastic work. I look forward to trying it. Pooyan is truly one of my favorite arcade games. I played it a ton on the C-64 and other platforms as well.
=====================
Bill Loguidice
about.me/billloguidice
www.armchairarcade.com
BeLucid
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by BeLucid »

Adrian,

I played your game at lunch today. Very cool. Nicely done!

One small request. A tiny manual/back story?

I never played the arcade version or a port, so I was rather confused with what was going on.

After I was killed just once or twice I got the general idea of moving up and down, shooting the balloons and dodging what was coming at me (apples?).

That being said... I didn't quite get what the thing on the right was, the structure. When the monsters made it to the ground and started interacting with the structure. I wasn't sure what exactly was happening. Can I stop the monster at that point? Do I need to?

I made it to the 2nd level once, and it had the monsters coming up from the bottom. And it seemed I needed to shoot them more than once.

I did find this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pooyan just now... but I think I'm more confused. Arrows and meat? I didn't notice any distinction in what I was shooting.

In any case... if you can provide the usual 3 paragraph VIC-20 game instructions, I'd be much obliged!
Sean
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Thanks for the feedback folks.

As it isn't an original game I didn't create any intructions on how to play etc. I think the following link provides a very good back story for anyone interested.

http://www.destructoid.com/retrose-tint ... 9585.phtml

I have uploaded a video of the game being played through the first three levels on a real vic to fill in any gaps. See the following link.

http://youtu.be/sl_DXanNKyU

Cheers
Adrian
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Really cool, this is the first time I've played Pooyan on any format, but I can tell this is a very polished game.. feels like an Atarisoft convert, and plays just as well - up there with Donkey Kong in my opinion.

Well done, a nice present for the Vic for 2014!
3^4 is 81.0000001
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

WOW, very nice porting.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
JanD
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by JanD »

Wow, I've just seen the pooyan game on youtube, I have very fond memories of this game on the C64.
How nice to see that it is now for the VIC20.

GREAT JOB! Thanks.
Jan D.