Vic 20 Devotee

Bolder Dan

Post by Misfit »

Hello all,

My new game for unexpanded VIC-20!

Name: Bolder Dan
Author: Misfit
Released: 30.11.2013
Requirements: Unexpanded VIC-20 + Joystick.
Tested : VICE 2.4 and real VIC (PAL)
Tools :

Code: Select all

cc65 (95% C) [graphics] CBM prg Studio
Description: a simple Boulder Dash clone for vic.
Download : [url=http://riimukivi.net/data/vic20_bolder_dan.zip]D64[/url] or [url=http://riimukivi.net/data/vic20_bolder_dan_t64.zip]T64[/url]
Youtube : [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFQegJN_NEE]video[/url]
[img]http://riimukivi.net/games/images/bolder_cassette_cover.gif[/img]
[img]http://riimukivi.net/games/images/bolder_dan_vic.jpg[/img]
Last edited by Misfit on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Re: Bolder Dan

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Misfit

Looks really fun, downloaded and I will play this on my Vic.

Will give a review later, thanks for sharing this.
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Oh! Very nice.

- great title music
- great gameplay
- "modern" desgin (practice stage for noobs)
- difficulty increasing just right

An all-around great game! Would you care to add this and your other release to the "Announcement Boad"-thread "VIC-20 Software Releases of 2013" ?

Just a philosophical note: "Unexpanded + Disk Drive" seems like an odd choice. I can see it adds the flexibility to load the level data here.

Back in the early 80s having a DiskDrive for the VIC-20 was only an option for the rich as the drive was much more expensive that the computer itself. Everyone else was using tapes and cartridges and the first expansions were always RAM, like 3K, 8K or 16K. I think that was Commodore's marketing at its best. Make the main machine just usable enough to keep the price low (under $300) and then sell the customer the accessories.

Also: Only when you had enough RAM the actual need for a disk drive actually arose. Unexpanded programs load fast enough from tape. However by the time people realized they might need a disk drive, the C64 was already on the market and taking over...
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

tokra wrote:Oh! Very nice.
Thanks!
tokra wrote:An all-around great game! Would you care to add this and your other release to the "Announcement Boad"-thread "VIC-20 Software Releases of 2013" ?
Ok, I add it..
tokra wrote:Just a philosophical note: "Unexpanded + Disk Drive" seems like an odd choice. I can see it adds the flexibility to load the level data here.
My main goal was to create something for unexpanded vic. You know.. it's cool.. :D and it is nice challenge. I spent few months trying to push new features to this game.
But I'm sure that I will use 16k memory in my next project.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Or... add memory, add more levels! :D
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Mayhem wrote:Or... add memory, add more levels! :D
More levels?
I believe that these 29 levels are enough for my creativity :D
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Oh right, sorry... I saw the screenshots (haven't played it yet) and thought there were just four levels... okay, add more memory, make it completely one single load then!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Don't worry. My mistake, screenshot shows 4 dungeons -> 29 levels.
Yes, single file would be great. And scrolling.. and more tiles.
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

I recompiled and converted the game to T64 format. Now it works without disk drive.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Very nice! I played a couple of levels in VICE and I will certainly play it next time I take my Vic out of the wardrobe. Good job!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
craftsman1234
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by craftsman1234 »

Nice game. It seem to play fine on my NTSC Vic-20.

I bug I may have found. If you collect the last item and a boulder is above you it may not fall. I had boulders all around me and instead of being killed I was trapped until the time ran out.
Commodore Pet 4032, Vic-20, 2 C64, 2 SX64, PAL 64c, 128DCR. Commodore Since 1980
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I just love the title you gave this clone. :lol:
Be normal.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

This is great. I haven't played it to death yet but I have I've really enjoyed. The controls are pretty esponsive and the baddies behave the one would expect. I like the graphics to. It's hard for me to explain but it has that nice "obvious Vic 20 game but with modern graphics" look. I don't know if that even makes sense outside of my pitiful brain!

What it really needs though is a level editor. Please say you could do that. Then I could make Rockman levels and finally be able to play that game with decent controls! It would also make my old dad happy! ;)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Misfit
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Misfit »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:It's hard for me to explain but it has that nice "obvious Vic 20 game but with modern graphics" look. I don't know if that even makes sense outside of my pitiful brain!
That was just it what I tried when I made graphics. Thanks!
Pedro Lambrini wrote:What it really needs though is a level editor. Please say you could do that. Then I could make Rockman levels and finally be able to play that game with decent controls! It would also make my old dad happy! ;)
Now level data is hard-coded and packed, but that's good idea. Maybe I use more memory and add "user friendly" level editor if I create "Bolder Dan II".
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Great fun, love it - reminds me of Rockman by Mastertronic, also for the unexpanded Vic which I also enjoyed playing.. Bolder Dan has better sound, more responsive controls.
3^4 is 81.0000001