Gridrunner Variations

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Gridrunner Variations

Post by Jeff-20 »

I just noticed on youtube that there's a different version of Gridrunner. I was only familiar with the cart version, but the video shows Minter's initials and not his full name on the title screen. Was the tape version different? If so, how?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Dirk Vroomen
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Dirk Vroomen »

I have seen three different versions of Gridrunner from Jeff Minter so far:

1. Gridrunner
2. Gridrunner 2 or Matrix
3. Mutant Camels

Best regards,
Dirk
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Attack of the Mutant Camels is the American name for Matrix, the sequel to Gridrunner. Confusing as there is a C64 title with the same name.

The cart version of Gridrunner says "By Jeff Minter (c) 1982 HES". The UK tape version says "(c) 1982 JCM".
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Mayhem wrote:Attack of the Mutant Camels is the American name for Matrix, the sequel to Gridrunner.
I bought Attack of the mutant camels in a store in Sweden.
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

The reason the UK tape version uses initials is because there is only 3.5k and he ran out of memory compared to the cartridge.

Attack of the mutant camels is Matrix with added Cameloid goodness.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Dirk Vroomen wrote:I have seen three different versions of Gridrunner from Jeff Minter so far:

1. Gridrunner
2. Gridrunner 2 or Matrix
3. Mutant Camels

Best regards,
Dirk
I consider those all to be different titles. I'm talking about the subtle differences Ian is noting. It seems like the cart has a different titles screen and level indicator, etc. I'm looking at youtube videos and have noticed at least three revisions.

Is the cart version also 3.5k?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The cartridge version is 4k. I guess 512 bytes allows you a better title screen heh.
Vic20-Ian wrote:Attack of the mutant camels is Matrix with added Cameloid goodness.
Hmmm? Matrix definitely has camels in it. All that's different is the name afaik. HES wanted a punchier title, so nicked the name of a C64 game Minter had put out. When the true AMC was sold in the US, it was renamed as Advance of the Mega Camels instead.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Personally, I felt Gridrunner was the best of these games. The others over-complicate the idea. They are impressive to me as a programmer but no as impressive to me as a game player. Pretty but just too hard.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

The tape version also doesn't seem to keep track of the level (grid).
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Gridrunner is the purest form and 3583 bytes ;-) a great version of centipede

Matrix / AMC is an 8k game with enhancements on Gridrunner. Wait till you see "The Snitch" who alters the base cannon firing to hit you if you stay still.

Laser Zone 8k flips the whole concept and the player takes the 2 ships on the edge of the original Gridrunner grid with horizontally running aliens to the Y axis and falling aliens to the X axis. Fire+Diagonal is needed to pick off aliens that have landed but don't shoot yourself!

Hellgate 8k - if you thought the others were hard well welcome to Hell! A 4 ship simultaneous control game enhancement of Laser Zone. Aliens in all 4 directions from the Hellgate must be controlled by top, bottom, left and right ships.

The sound on Laser Zone is Awesome, turn it up loud, Jeff pushes the chip do do things you would not think possible. Enjoy.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready