[**Commercial Release Is Now Available**] Realms of Quest IV

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

[**Commercial Release Is Now Available**] Realms of Quest IV

Post by Ghislain »

The following is just a proof-of-concept screenshot to get me started:

I've been thinking about making this for quite some time. If I were to make it, I've written down some rough idea of what I'd like it to be.

-8 character party
-10 races: Human, Elf, Dwarf, Hobbit, Gnoll, Gnome, Kobold, Ogre, Orc, Sprite
-12 classes: Fighter, Wizard, Priest, Thief, Bard, Lord, Monk, Necromancer, Ninja, Paladin, Peasant, Ranger
-aging would be a factor
-the weaker class/race characters will tend to advance in levels quicker than those stronger class/race characters. So an Ogre Peasant will level up a lot faster than an Elf Lord.
-there won't be any race restrictions for classes, as long as the requirements are met, you can create any character you like. You can have a Gnoll Wizard if you like
-the adventure will take place in a 10 level dungeon that will be designed by hand (instead of being procedurally generated like in RoQ 2 and 3) with various puzzles and pitfalls. There will even be NPCs that you will encounter along the way.
-3 rows of monsters during combat
-60 magic and priest spells

The system requirements will be 16KB RAM Expansion + Disk Drive. I will try to use up as much of the 170KB disk that the game takes place in. The game will be modular and load those things that are needed from disk into RAM instead of putting everything all at once into 32KB.

Today, I'm organizing my notes and ideas so that I can get started. Hopefully I can sustain my interest in this project.
Last edited by Ghislain on Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:34 am, edited 4 times in total.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

I've been meaning to have a real indepth play of ROQ III for quite a while but not got around to it, I'd best get my skates on then.

Great to hear your planning a 4th installment, and look forward to seeing it develop - really enjoyed reading the big thread on here about ROQ III.

KingTrode / Jim
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

KingTrode wrote:I've been meaning to have a real indepth play of ROQ III for quite a while but not got around to it, I'd best get my skates on then.

Great to hear your planning a 4th installment, and look forward to seeing it develop - really enjoyed reading the big thread on here about ROQ III.

KingTrode / Jim
Thanks. Today, I designed the wireframe graphics for the dungeon. While RoQ3 had graphics that looked like late 1980s C64 graphics, I'm making this one will look like a late 1970s/early 1980s mainframe vintage CRPG game. This is a deliberate design choice because it is simpler, and I will mostly focus on the game system which will be more elaborate than the previous.

The monster graphics will also look like they come from classic 1970s RPG images:

darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I'm really excited at the ideas of puzzles and NPC's being added and going up to 8 characters in a party!

:D
Learning all the time... :)
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Ghislain wrote: Thanks. Today, I designed the wireframe graphics for the dungeon. While RoQ3 had graphics that looked like late 1980s C64 graphics, I'm making this one will look like a late 1970s/early 1980s mainframe vintage CRPG game. This is a deliberate design choice because it is simpler, and I will mostly focus on the game system which will be more elaborate than the previous.

The monster graphics will also look like they come from classic 1970s RPG
Those monochrome graphics still look nice and if they afford more resources/performance etc. to the game itself then that's a nice bonus.

On the 3D perspective dungeon type view, it's something I've wanted to try but not quite sure how to go about it - perhaps you might have some link/info that might enlighten me somewhat?

KingTrode / Jim
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

If you can make a Vic20 version of something in the vein of Bard's Tale for instance, that would be ace :D
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I am just amazed at how prolific you have been with these adventure games over the last few years.

Keep up the good work!
Be normal.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Thanks everyone. So I've christened this project with it's own logo

I'm not sure if it will live up to the previous (there's going to be an entirely new game engine), but I hope it will be a fun game to play nonetheless.
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Your work is incredible. I'm excited to see another, although I haven't gotten very far enough in your previous games to need a new game :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

KingTrode wrote:On the 3D perspective dungeon type view, it's something I've wanted to try but not quite sure how to go about it - perhaps you might have some link/info that might enlighten me somewhat?
As for 3D dungeon perspective that was one in RQ3, I pretty much just wing it without looking for online code samples. Since everything is a fixed perspective, I just design the custom chars that are needed.
akator wrote:Your work is incredible. I'm excited to see another, although I haven't gotten very far enough in your previous games to need a new game :)
I myself haven't solved many RPG computer games -- it was always the journey of creating a party, exploring and leveling up and finding more powerful items. It's no wonder that Telengard is my favorite CRPG, but I've been playing Oubliette a lot on the iPad (and RQ4 will be influenced by it), which focuses more on character and party with no actual quest. That being said, RQ4 will have the most story compared to the previous 3 -- but even when it's solved, the player can still go dungeon crawling for monsters to kill and to find treasure.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I've designed a list of Wizard spells (6 spell levels, 5 spells per level).

# SPELL NAME
1 CHARM MONSTER
1 FIND FAMILIAR
1 MAGIC MISSILE
1 SLEEP
1 STINKING CLOUD

2 CLOUDKILL
2 DETECT MAGIC(M)
2 LIGHTNING BOLT
2 REVEAL LOCATION
2 STRENGTH

3 FIREBALL
3 HASTE
3 MONSTER SUMMONING I
3 PHANTASMAL FORCE
3 WIZARD'S EYE(W)

4 DIMENSION DOOR
4 ENCHANTED WEAPON
4 FEAR
4 ICE STORM
4 MESMERIZE

5 DEATH
5 MONSTER SUMMONING II
5 MORDENKAI'S SWORD
5 POWER WORD STUN
5 STONE TO FLESH

6 CLONE
6 GATE
6 METEOR SWARM
6 POWER WORD KILL
6 TIME STOP

Wizards will have the ability to summon, or make monsters join them. And the ultimate summon spell (clone) will make a copy of one of your party members.
Last edited by Ghislain on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

Looks pretty fine and makes me remember all the epic nights with the SSI games! :-D
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Priest Spells:

#SPELL NAME
1 BLESS
1 CURE LIGHT WOUNDS
1 LIGHT(L)
1 PROTECTION FROM EVIL
1 TURN THE UNDEAD

2 EXILE THE UNDEAD
2 EXORCISM
2 INVISIBILITY(I)
2 MIRROR IMAGE
2 SPEAK WITH DEAD

3 CURE SERIOUS WOUNDS
3 FIND TRAPS(T)
3 PRAYER
3 REMOVE CURSE
3 SPIRITUAL SHIELD

4 COMMUNE WITH DEAD
4 CURE POISON
4 DETECT EVIL(E)
4 EXCOMMUNICATION
4 REMOVE ALL CURSES

5 CACODEMON
5 CURE ALL POISONS
5 CURE CRITICAL WOUNDS
5 PASSWALL(P)
5 RAISE DEAD

6 ASTRAL SPELL
6 HOLY SYMBOL
6 RESTORATION
6 RESURRECTION
6 WORLD OF RECALL
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

While RQ3 was programmed in pure assembly language, I'll most likely program RQ4 in part BASIC and part ML.

The rationale for this is that it will speed up development, especially for an RPG where tables and data are referenced quite a bit. DEF FN is quite powerful, and I intend to use it quite often. If I find it too cumbersome to write the game this way, I'll switch to pure ML of course.

The main reason why RQ3 was being programmed in ML at the time is because I originally wanted to make a cartridge game at first.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I worked on this quite a bit today. When you roll a character, you're presented a list of classes that he or she qualifies for. As long as the character meets the minimum stat requirements, they will be able to select that class.