[WIP] Dice Drop

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

[WIP] Dice Drop

Post by KingTrode »

Hi All

I have started work on a new game project for the VIC-20 targeted @ 8k+ RAM configuration in 100% MCode.

Continuing on the Dice theme from my last game but much more Arcade type game play this time around, similar in someways to Tetris/Columns etc. but quite different in others.

Seeing as the screenshot doesn't reveal much, here's a bit more info:

a) Each Grid has a target number of lines that you must survive.
b) Every so often a new line of random Dice will be added to the grid, causing all those below to scroll down.
c) If the Dice reach the bottom line of the grid it's "Game Over".
d) The player controls a "Die Launcher" that can be moved left and right along the area just above "Game Over".
e) A randomly rolled Die is loaded into the Lancher which can be changed by pressing an assigned control key ie: you got a "4" - pressing the key will change it to a "5".."6".."1"... and so on, in other words you can only change up and not down and "6" cycles back to a "1" (hope that makes sense).
f) You must fire your loaded Die at one of the same value to remove it from the grid (there's much more to this but I won't say at this point - see below).

I'm not going to go into any more detail at this point, seeing as this game concept is not my idea there's "+5 Bonus Points" to the first person who can tell me the name of the original game this is based on.

At this point in time I have thrown together some graphics to work with which are very likely to change throughout the development process as will the colours used, and code for:

a) Drawing the tiles (thanks Mike)
b) Adding a new line to the grid
c) Rendering the grid to the screen
d) Trap when bottom line reached (game over)

So there's still a lot for me to do.

I would consider this a major undertaking compared to anything I've done for the VIC-20 before today, so fingers crossed this will see the light of day in some half-decent playable form.

Once I have something playable I shall post a link to a YouTube video.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

Looks like an interesting take on 'Bust-a-Move'.

Loved your other dice game, yacht - 321 my best score so far - so really looking forward to having a crack at this one too. :)
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

vicist wrote:Looks like an interesting take on 'Bust-a-Move'.

Loved your other dice game, yacht - 321 my best score so far - so really looking forward to having a crack at this one too. :)
I can see where your coming from with "Bust-a-Move", but 0 points I'm afraid :( .

Glad you enjoy Yacht and wow 321 is a great score, mine is 308 ATM and I play it at least every other day.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

Update:

Here's a very short video of what I have come up with so far.

The player movement is very coarse ATM and I plan to make it much smoother in the finished article, also the hit Die explosions are pretty shabby too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsoMG-5_m-E

Still along way to go, but I'm getting there slowly :wink:
Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

Looks promising! and fun :)
Looking forward to the final version.
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

pallas wrote:Looks promising! and fun :)
Looking forward to the final version.
Thanks for the comments Pallas.

I'm just working on the special combo feature ATM, once this is working I shall post an updated video of the game in action.

As that feature is the final piece of the puzzle I should hopefully have a playable demo PRG available some time soon after, hopefully over the weekend.

KingTrode / Jim
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Nice looking game!
Be normal.
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

eslapion wrote:Nice looking game!
Thanks Eslapion :)

Here's an updated video with the "Use Combo Dice" feature added.

Still lot's of work to do, particularly sorting out the timer for adding a new line of dice to the play grid.

Nobody claimed the bonus points on offer by guessing which game this is based on, so here's a link with some info : http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=284

Video Link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvUmBBP6qxw

KingTrode / Jim
Empa Kendo
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Empa Kendo »

Great looking game!

It reminds me of a recent game released by Revival Studios (Avalanche), where you also have to flip your "game element" to match the inbound objects prior to shooting.. see here: http://www.revival-studios.com/?page=139
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Really cool game, can't wait to play it on my friendly Vic :-)

Thanks for sharing the video :D
Kind regards, Peter.