[Finished] VICroLeague Wrestling (from 1991)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

[Finished] VICroLeague Wrestling (from 1991)

Post by Ghislain »

I'm fixing one of my old VIC-20 games that was somewhat similar to MicroLeague Wrestling. I meticulously drew 64x64 pixel animations for six wresling moves (3 for each side). The game mechanics were pretty simple.

I'm going to put this out there soon.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Last edited by Ghislain on Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Ohh, this looks so cool - I was thinking of trying the same thing for the Vic...I thought I was the only one who liked MicroLeague wrestling. :D
Learning all the time... :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

darkatx wrote:Ohh, this looks so cool - I was thinking of trying the same thing for the Vic...I thought I was the only one who liked MicroLeague wrestling. :D
Thanks. I think the game right now gets a bit repetitive because there's only 3 wrestling moves per side. I wanted to add more wrestling moves, but drawing these images one dot at a time gets quite tedious. I'll wrap it in a splash screen + instructions menu since I don't want the work I did 20+ years ago to go to waste. I have quite a few abandoned almost finished VIC 20 projects, it will take me quite some time to get through to them.

But I could conceivably use the same game engine to add more matches by just capturing screen caps of wrestling matches on youtube and then converting them to PGM format. I did try to do that but with mixed results--but if I took the time to refine the images, I could maybe make it work somehow.

I have these ideas for a hypothetical 'volume 2'

MACHO SAVAGE vs THE AWESOME WARRIOR
STONE COLE vs THE ROCKER
VIC FLAIR vs HULK LOGAN II

Yeah, the name changes are blatantly similar to their non-VIC 20 counterparts :twisted:
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Imagemagick can convert gif-files to a list of colour|X|Y.
Worked nicely for my 'poxeldemo'.
Maybe of use here as well? First edit the screengrab to black and white using levels or threshold in a drawing program like Gimp, then save as gif, then convert in Imagemagick (I can look up the exact command line for it when I get home).

Edit:
This is the Imagemagick command line to convert a black-and-white picture to a text file with coordinates:
> convert HipsterLoesportret.gif txt: | grep 'black' > HipsterLoesportret.txt
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Witzo wrote:Imagemagick can convert gif-files to a list of colour|X|Y.
Worked nicely for my 'poxeldemo'.
Maybe of use here as well? First edit the screengrab to black and white using levels or threshold in a drawing program like Gimp, then save as gif, then convert in Imagemagick (I can look up the exact command line for it when I get home).

Edit:
This is the Imagemagick command line to convert a black-and-white picture to a text file with coordinates:
> convert HipsterLoesportret.gif txt: | grep 'black' > HipsterLoesportret.txt
I did use Gimp to create a couple of 64x64 PGM images, and then I use Mike's PGM import tool.

Today, I created a splash screen:

After I'm finished, I might consider making 'VicroLeague Wrestling 2' which would have more matches and more wrestling moves than the first.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Where's the goshdarn LIKE button in this place?!!! :D
Learning all the time... :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Me like too :)
I used to follow wrestling on late night tv shows with my grandma. :shock:
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Thanks all. The game is now ready and I'll post a link to download very shortly.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Name: VICroLeague Wrestling
Author: Ghislain
Released: March 1, 2013 (originally made in 1991)
Requirements: Unexpanded VIC-20 + Disk Drive.
Description: A simple pro wrestling game.

Here is another VIC-20 game I had originally made when I was in high school in my bedroom. I've improved the game interface and graphics loading routines. This version contains the original 64x64 pixel wrestling move animations I had designed. I will likely make a follow-up (VICroLeague Wrestling 2) with even more matches and a greater variety of animated wrestling holds.

Download.

Discuss.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

We had fun playing VICroLeague Wrestling and VICroLeague Wrestling 2 at last Sunday's FCUG meeting! However, we were not sure how to use the "9-key" pad to control our wrestler.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Fresno Commodore User Group
http://videocam.net.au/fcug
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

RobertBe wrote:We had fun playing VICroLeague Wrestling and VICroLeague Wrestling 2 at last Sunday's FCUG meeting! However, we were not sure how to use the "9-key" pad to control our wrestler.

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Thank you. The 9 keys to control are:

QWE
ASD
ZXC

By pressing the key, your wrestler (yellow circle) is placed in the appropriate location in the ring.

You basically try to keep your wrestler away from your opponent when he is strong (25% chance of success for advantage; the red filled-in circle char--SHIFT Q), and when he is weak, you then try to make contact (75% chance of success for advantage; the red hollow circle char--SHIFT W).
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

Ghislain wrote:By pressing the key, your wrestler (yellow circle) is placed in the appropriate location in the ring.
Ah, thanks for enlightening us. We were also not sure about the "gauges" at the top of the screen. Do they show how weak you re becoming with more and more wrestling (as each vertical bar moves nearer to the center)?

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

RobertBe wrote:
Ghislain wrote:By pressing the key, your wrestler (yellow circle) is placed in the appropriate location in the ring.
Ah, thanks for enlightening us. We were also not sure about the "gauges" at the top of the screen. Do they show how weak you re becoming with more and more wrestling (as each vertical bar moves nearer to the center)?

Truly,
Robert Bernardo
Yes, they effectively act as stamina bars. When a move is performed against your opponent, damage will lower his stamina while your own stamina recovers. A stamina bar moving towards the center indicates a loss in stamina.

The higher the stamina, the likelier the wrestler is able to kick out of a pin attempt.
ArugulaZ
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ArugulaZ »

Ha ha, wow! That's pretty clever. I remember Microleague Wrestling and thinking it was a great idea. Those digitized images were just amazing for the time.

You know, I wish you had named your Hulk-alike "Bulk Kogan." That was from a cartoon I used to watch on NBC, back in 1992...

"And now for the lesson of the day. Never call professional wrestler Bulk Kogan a weenie. Isn't that right, weenie?"
"GRR!"
SCREW BEAR
Bear is so startled that he falls off cliff.

http://kiblitzing.blogspot.com/
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ArugulaZ wrote:Ha ha, wow! That's pretty clever. I remember Microleague Wrestling and thinking it was a great idea. Those digitized images were just amazing for the time.

You know, I wish you had named your Hulk-alike "Bulk Kogan." That was from a cartoon I used to watch on NBC, back in 1992...

"And now for the lesson of the day. Never call professional wrestler Bulk Kogan a weenie. Isn't that right, weenie?"
"GRR!"
Thanks! An internet search for "Bulk Kogan" gave me this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvPHsYlj6MI

Is that what you were referring to?