Basic slide puzzle

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Basic slide puzzle

Post by vicist »

I had some time on my hands over xmas and new year so I wrote a basic 3.5k game for the Vic - my first in almost 30 yrs!!!

You have 1 minute to defuse the bomb by joining the wires (!) to the lights.

If you are interested the .prg is available from my Vic webpage.
http://www.vicist.co.uk/vic.html

Edit: V2.0 plus instructions can be downloaded here.
Last edited by vicist on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:14 am, edited 5 times in total.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Awesome game, thanks!

One problem, I have a NTSC VIC and after the explosion sequence the display area is moved to the lower right, partially off screen.
Ray..
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

Last edited by matsondawson on Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

Sorry about that. Programmed it in vice default of pal (I am in the uk after all). Haven't even tried it out on my real vic yet.

Tested it in vice ntsc mode and yes, you're right, it does go a bit squiffy after the explosion. Make these changes to the program and it'll work properly for ntsc.

Code: Select all

1220 pokev-13,fna(3)+23:pokev-14,fna(3)+4:next:next:pokev-1,0
1230 pokev-13,25:pokev-14,5:return
Glad someone is enjoying my effort.
toby405
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by toby405 »

I like it but it confuses me, I feel like I'm moving the empty space instead of the tiles, am I doing it wrong?
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

I like it but it confuses me, I feel like I'm moving the empty space instead of the tiles, am I doing it wrong?
You are correct! Moving the space transfers the tile to where the space was. In a real sliding puzzle you move the tile into the space, but the effect is the same - the tile and space swap places.

I did program this game in real studio for the pc and mac where you click on the tile you wish to move but doing this in 3.5k on a vic would be quite a challenge.
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

To save everybody time, I've adjusted the relevent lines in the program and created an NTSC version of the game which you can find at the same place.

Enjoy.
Last edited by vicist on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I think we have our first entry for Vic-20 Software releases of 2013 on the Announcement Board! :D
Learning all the time... :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I absolutely love the idea! It took some time to get used to the controls because there are similar games with different control rules. The brain is a bit persistent. I more impressed by the simplicity of the game. Easy to pick up and understand right away but still very challenging!

I was only slowed down by the interface. This would be a great game for manual control (an electronic hand held device or maybe a mobile app). Still, it's a lot of fun!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

I can't take credit for the idea of the game. It is based on a handheld game called "Beat The Blast" ©paladone. It consists of a manual slide puzzle board and a battery powered timer and lights system. I bought this from play.com but was disappointed that it made no checks to see if you had configured the tiles properly. You could just turn the timer off at any point. I thought hmmm, an ideal candidate for a computer game.

Perhaps joystick control of the space would be a better idea. Then anyone playing the game in vice etc. and wishing to just use the keyboard could use the joy keys option and select their own keys for operation.
There is not enough memory left to implement both controls for a real vic (only 8 bytes free after playing a couple of times).
Machine code would speed up the movement and help with the memory constraints but that wasn't the idea.
I'm quite happy with the game as it stands but please feel free to poke about in the code and change things if you wish.
Last edited by vicist on Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
lordbubsy
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by lordbubsy »

Thanks for porting this to the VIC-20! I think joystick control would be an asset though.
8-bit assimilation
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

Joystick control versions are now available from the same link.

I hope this makes things a little easier. :)
Last edited by vicist on Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
lordbubsy
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by lordbubsy »

Just tried it on the real VIC-20 (ntsc)!
For me it woks much better this way. :)
8-bit assimilation
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

I'm assuming it takes more than two tiles to make a connection?
Ray..
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

I'm assuming it takes more than two tiles to make a connection?
If the lights appear in the corner you only need one tile. The two lights are completely random (apart from a small check to ensure the same ones are not picked one after another) so some goes will be easier than others. As long as the lights are connected by a continuous red line (the wire) and you press F7 before the timer gets to 0:00 you are safe.