[Finished] Theater of War III: Western Front 1918

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

OBSysteme wrote:wow, that is a neat series... I think I will try these with a visiting friend during the holidays. I can'T remember the last time I played hotseat on a computer with someone , it's probably been since pre-teen years.

I've got to say those little unit icons are neatly done.

if you continue like that we might have axis and allies for the vic-20 one day :P

Question: how hard would it be to have a war map that is larger than screen display?, for example a 4-pannel map (four screen size) which you could switch from one pannel to another using arrow of F keys?
Well thank you. Playing against the computer is OK, but it's quite an experience to play 'head to head'.

As for making a game map bigger than the screen? Well, I'd have to make a version that required memory expansion. But I think that limiting the game onto the same screen makes it easier to see everything at once. The intent is not to create a giant war game like SSI's Panzer General but one that can be played relatively quickly (though it once took me three hours to beat LEVEL 5 in Theater I).

I love Axis and Allies. I think the closest I've seen to a map-based wargame on the VIC-20 is the most excellent VICtoria Gold.

I continued to fix bugs today. There were so many, but I made progress. I'm at the point where I will be playtesting the game now.

"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I have a beta ready: https://sites.google.com/site/gdbsite50 ... ects=0&d=1

If you notice any bugs, please let me know.

I will probably have a proper release with description, screenshots and manual ready by tomorrow.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

It seems to play OK...then when you destroy the enemies flag - it just keeps on going like nothing ever happened - no reset or nothing. But I'm guessing it's a one round beta for now right?
Learning all the time... :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

darkatx wrote:It seems to play OK...then when you destroy the enemies flag - it just keeps on going like nothing ever happened - no reset or nothing. But I'm guessing it's a one round beta for now right?
I've uploaded another update since then which addresses that. Thanks.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Name: Theater of War III: Western Front 1918
Author: Ghislain
Released: November 26, 2011
Requirements: Unexpanded VIC-20 + Disk Drive.
Description: The tactical wargaming series for the VIC-20 now takes place in the trenches of World War I.

March 1918. Russia, in the midst of revolution and civil war has surrendered in the East. Now is the chance to break the stalemate on the Western Front. As a commander of the German Empire's army, your task will be to take on the French forces as you advance to the Marne river, and then onwards to Paris. Be aware, however, that with each successful victory, the Allied resources of the British and the Americans will be increasingly used against you.

Includes a two-player option. Instructions are included in the game program from the main menu and a PDF manual is included with the download.

Download.

Discuss.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

There is a typo near the end of the PDF viz "capturing Paris after four a four year stalemate on the Western Front." Guess there's an extra "four" there. Aside from that, looks good :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Mayhem wrote:There is a typo near the end of the PDF viz "capturing Paris after four a four year stalemate on the Western Front." Guess there's an extra "four" there. Aside from that, looks good :)
Thanks. I corrected it.

So, which one do you like best? Theater of War I, II, or III ?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Only had a couple of quick games of III so far, so I'll need more plays to decide...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Could this game engine be adapted to recreate the Wizard battle game Arena by Cult Games / Chaos by Julian Gollop on the Vic20?

That would be really cool.

On the C64 up to 8 wizards (Human or Computer controlled) battle it out on a turn based strategy with spell casting, battle and movement rounds as the atmosphere swings between Law and Chaos.

The screen was 2x2 screens in size and scrolled. Different spells for creatures with different powers and likelihood of beating others. e.g. flying, undead

Great game.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Very good! Once again, thank you Ghislain... It's great to play your wargames in the cold winter evenings :) . I can't decide which one is best, I think it depends on my mood to play one, two or three :P .
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

For Vicmas, I want a version playable via vicmodem with a human player on the other side of the phone line/network.

That is asking much (too complex to justify putting the time in?), but how cool would that be !!!!

I bet it would be more fun than any playstation multiplayer game out there....
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Vic20-Ian wrote:Could this game engine be adapted to recreate the Wizard battle game Arena by Cult Games / Chaos by Julian Gollop on the Vic20?

That would be really cool.

On the C64 up to 8 wizards (Human or Computer controlled) battle it out on a turn based strategy with spell casting, battle and movement rounds as the atmosphere swings between Law and Chaos.

The screen was 2x2 screens in size and scrolled. Different spells for creatures with different powers and likelihood of beating others. e.g. flying, undead

Great game.

8 players?

8 nations would make a 1939 version of Axis and Allies:
Allies: France, UK, Russia, USA, China
Axis: Japan, Germany, Italy

Ghislain's mini wargames is making us daydream it seems....
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Not too hard to do, just an array of spells, creatures and armies to track for each player.

The turn based engine could cope with any number of players....if you had an FE3 512kb ram ;-)
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

There are enough people with a FE3 to setup a small network of VIC players (just dreaming of course :) ) .
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I made it to level 3 and was sitting on the doorsteps of the enemy just waiting my next turn to move onto level 4 and out of the blue the last enemy bomber nips me! The enemy proceeded to wipe out my entire force in less than 5 turns.
I think this is the best of the bunch because the terrain feature changes the dynamic and actually balances things out a bit.
Great stuff! :D
Learning all the time... :)