[Finished] Theater of War II: The Pacific

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Excellent work Ghislain, I already added this to my software collection on the Final Expansion, and will try it on the VIC ASAP. I join the crowd in asking for a good printable manual :) .
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote:Excellent work Ghislain, I already added this to my software collection on the Final Expansion, and will try it on the VIC ASAP. I join the crowd in asking for a good printable manual :) .
Thanks. I think there are things I prefer about the first game, mostly because the variety in appearance of the units is more evident (kind of hard to come up with five different images for ship types). I just played a serious non-testing session, and I made it to the third level:

Players can try to 'capture the flag' early against the computer, but they will lose out on bonus supply and reserves in future levels (every bit counts when it comes to surviving the impossibly difficult level 5).

Lack of manual so far is a result that I'm a bit burned out from all the coding I did in the past couple of days. But when I make one, it shouldn't be hard to make a manual since I'll be basing it on outline of the first. To be fair, the instructions are in the game menu and anyone who's had the slightest inkling of wargaming (board-based or computer-based) would understand what it's all about.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Mayhem wrote:It's just nice to have the PDF to hand to reference while you play, as you can forget which ship type is good against a particular other if the opponent happens to have more of a certain kind in play. And noting how far each ship type can move.

In reality there's no special need to move the aircraft carriers away from home base, right? They are mostly there to allow the planes to fly, and only need to fight in an emergency. So if you have one carrier, you can fly two of each per turn, if you have two carriers, you can fly three etc, correct?

Not noted any bugs so far, I'll let you know if I spot any...
You're basically right about how aircraft carriers work. They are not very mobile in a combat situation, but they are the strongest sea-based units VS planes. Basically, they're like the anti-aircraft guns of the first game, albeit three times as expensive.

I played the first ToW game against a friend a couple of months ago. It was a lot of fun, we played through all 9 battle sizes in the two-player version. I won eight, and he beat me once. In fairness, I did design the game, so I understood the intricacies and nuances of it. I didn't hold back when I played because he beats me at Risk all of the time :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I created a PDF manual, which looks very close to the one that came with the first game.

https://sites.google.com/site/gdbsite50 ... ects=0&d=1
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Just noting, so cruisers can't repel against fighters, just bombers (I presume because they are slower)? And the PDF has a typo, it says bombers cost 30, instead of 20.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Mayhem wrote:Just noting, so cruisers can't repel against fighters, just bombers (I presume because they are slower)? And the PDF has a typo, it says bombers cost 30, instead of 20.
I gave very limited anti-air capability to cruisers 'for the sake of the game'.

I corrected the typo in the PDF, thanks for pointing that out.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I just beat level 5. Maybe the game is too easy?

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

You wrote the game, I'd expect you to be able to do well at it. The rest of us... remains to be seen ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Tangentially on-topic, if you're into Japanese navy steel from WW2, here's a science fiction story in which those ships are the main characters:

http://crazytje.be/reader/show/4e4c2a4b ... 59e0c/0/10
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Witzo wrote:Tangentially on-topic, if you're into Japanese navy steel from WW2, here's a science fiction story in which those ships are the main characters:

http://crazytje.be/reader/show/4e4c2a4b ... 59e0c/0/10
Interesting!