Realms of Quest: 20th Anniversary Edition

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote:Image
While I code this, I'll probably watch those excellent Vincent Price/Roger Corman Poe adaptions for inspiration.

Ever watched them?
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

No, never. A good chance to do it - I see there are Italian dubbed versions :) .
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote:No, never. A good chance to do it - I see there are Italian dubbed versions :) .
I think the 1960s were the golden age of horror films. I love the gothic atmosphere created by the likes of Mario Bava, Roger Corman and of course, Terrence Fisher. I have several Hammer film DVD box sets.

It's all slashers with the cheap jump scares nowadays. Perhaps the gothic horror film will be reborn in the same manner that Pirates of the Caribbean revived the pirate movie genre that had more or less disappeared for 50 years.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote:No, never. A good chance to do it - I see there are Italian dubbed versions :) .
Here's a portion of Vincent Price's one man TV special from 1971: "An Evening of Edgar Allan Poe" where he recites the entirety of "The Tell-Tale Heart":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LNjgv5p3Ek (part 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TM-tAb-bM-s (part 2)
pianoman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by pianoman »

Ghislain wrote:
pianoman wrote:Wonderful revamp of Realms of Quest I, Ghislain!

I have been playing this game on and off ever since I bought your wonderful RoQ III floppy collection, and I estimate that I completed about half the game so far.

Would you be able to know if my saved game would work with your new revamp of the game?

Thanks, and great job on this game!
Thank you. You should be able to transfer your save game AQD. sequential file by copying it to the new version as REALMS I.SAVE

So you were able to find 2 pieces of the amulet?

Hopefully I will be able to finish this revised version shortly.
Yes, I did find 2 pieces of the amulet, and it's been a few months since I played the game. I recall,however, that I am stuck trying to get deeper into the dungeon, in order to continue the quest. I think I may need to level up some more, so I can use a higher level spell to get through the next area.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

pianoman wrote:Yes, I did find 2 pieces of the amulet, and it's been a
few months since I played the game. I recall,however, that I am stuck trying to get deeper into the dungeon, in order to continue the quest. I think I may need to level up some more, so I can use a higher level spell to get through the next area.
The original Realms I only let you save game at the guild. With this one, you can just press F1 anywhere you are in the dunjon and it will 'save and quit' at that spot.

Hopefully that will make it more helpful when you play.

I also changed and improved the text of the scrolls (that give you hints ala Phantasie).
pianoman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by pianoman »

Wow, the saving anywhere is a big time saver. Thank you so much, Ghislain, for making this wonderful feature available.

I look forward to trying this new version, and reveling in the new improvements!
pianoman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by pianoman »

Hello Ghislain,
This is a follow-up to trying my old savegame with the new version of Realms of Quest.

After following your advice to rename the aqd.seq file to REALMS I.SAVE and then copy the file to the new image, I could not get it to work, unfortunately. I even made sure to scratch the default REALMS I.SAVE file, which came with the new image. After loading up the game, all I got was a new, unnamed level 0 character, which couldn't even get out of the guild area, to explore the dungeon.

In any case, that's not a problem, as I have been enjoying playing the old version, anyway. Thus, I have revisited my old saved game, which holds a level 12 character, has 2 pieces of the amulet, purchased all the upgrades from the shop and guild (+5 sword, shield, and armor), including all the scrolls and the Password.

Spoiler alert:
I have found and mapped 15 levels of the dungeon. However, I could not find the 3rd piece of the amulet, which according to the formula used for the first 2 pieces, should be located on level 14. I used the same spell, Search, as for the first 2 pieces, but I've had no luck in finding the 3rd piece thus far.

So, may I ask what am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm overlooking, do I need to level up more, or use a different spell?

If you can, please help me in continuing this wonderful quest.
Thanks very much.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

pianoman wrote:Hello Ghislain,
This is a follow-up to trying my old savegame with the new version of Realms of Quest.

After following your advice to rename the aqd.seq file to REALMS I.SAVE and then copy the file to the new image, I could not get it to work, unfortunately. I even made sure to scratch the default REALMS I.SAVE file, which came with the new image. After loading up the game, all I got was a new, unnamed level 0 character, which couldn't even get out of the guild area, to explore the dungeon.

In any case, that's not a problem, as I have been enjoying playing the old version, anyway. Thus, I have revisited my old saved game, which holds a level 12 character, has 2 pieces of the amulet, purchased all the upgrades from the shop and guild (+5 sword, shield, and armor), including all the scrolls and the Password.

Spoiler alert:
I have found and mapped 15 levels of the dungeon. However, I could not find the 3rd piece of the amulet, which according to the formula used for the first 2 pieces, should be located on level 14. I used the same spell, Search, as for the first 2 pieces, but I've had no luck in finding the 3rd piece thus far.

So, may I ask what am I doing wrong? Is there something I'm overlooking, do I need to level up more, or use a different spell?

If you can, please help me in continuing this wonderful quest.
Thanks very much.
Just PM me your email address, and I'll give you details to email me your disk image so that I can convert it to the new game.

As for the third piece, you also have to be in the right room number. When I was revising the game, I noticed that the original formula did not include the room number.

The room number = Amulet Number ^ 2

You can find out your room number with the SEXTANT spell.

I actually changed the formula for the room number in the new revised game, but I can add 8000 GP to your character so that you can read the four scrolls (that have been changed).
pianoman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by pianoman »

Thanks a bunch, pm sent.