New Release: Doom

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Automap implemented!
It's a little slow but I might convert the line clipping/drawing to assembly later.

Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Wow, impressive!
Can't wait for Ultra-violence on the VIC :)
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I procrastinated on fixing up the AI by converting the map code to assembly. It's now quite smooth. The entire automap is 1.25k. The C version was about 1.8k.

As usual you can see the code and the latest version (d64) at:
https://github.com/Kweepa/vicdoom
In xvic, set the memory to Full (blocks 0/1/2/3/5).
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I have to be perfectly honest with you...I have in my possession a 3D game programming book that's nearly 1200 pages long that I've pretty much read cover to cover.
The math alone puts me to shame but what gets me is the ability to get 3 FPS out of the VIC with 2048 pixel screen just blows me away.
I'm trying to wrap my head around it and it seems that there shouldn't be enough cycles to render anything more than a single frame per second.

Incredible! :shock:
Learning all the time... :)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Well, it's a bit of a cheat since the doom engine renders walls in vertical strips. The inner loop of the wall renderer runs at 48 cycles/pixel, so the theoretical max framerate is 10FPS when pressed up against a wall, and 20FPS when there's 50% coverage. Of course there's a lot of overhead in transforming sectors to screen space and setting up the wall drawing. And so on.

Here's the inner loop, by the way:

Code: Select all

loop:
texAddr:
lda textures ; self modified texture address
; shift into position for the screen
; modify these as required (asl/lsr/nop)
shiftcodegoeshere:
lsr
lsr
lsr
lsr
tmask:
and #0 ; self modified immediate operand
scrbuf:
ora buffer,x ; self modified screen addr
scrbuf2:
sta buffer,x ; self modified screen addr
dex
bmi end
tya
clc
stepLo:
adc #0 ; self modified immediate operand
tay
lda texAddr+1
stepHi:
adc #0 ; self modified immediate operand
sta texAddr+1
jmp loop
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Just wondering, did you see this C64 (and C128)-demo?

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/?id=81157

Of special interest is the "Doom Workstage" included in it:

http://noname.c64.org/csdb/release/down ... ?id=102609

Looks quite nice on the C64 already, and even better on the C128. Maybe you can adapt some of the tricks they used.
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

Kweepa wrote:Here's the inner loop, by the way:
How about masking before shifting, that will eliminate the need for "clc". Also, "dex; bpl" will save two cycles, the cost being that you need to "jmp loop" instead of dropping into it as texture address increment must be moved just before the loop.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

TNT wrote:
Kweepa wrote:Here's the inner loop, by the way:
How about masking before shifting, that will eliminate the need for "clc".
Hmm, would that still work when the "shifting" is all NOPs?
I guess I need to determine if anything can set the carry flag in the inner loop.
Also, "dex; bpl" will save two cycles, the cost being that you need to "jmp loop" instead of dropping into it as texture address increment must be moved just before the loop.
Thanks! I will roll that in!
tokra wrote:Just wondering, did you see this C64 (and C128)-demo?
Looks quite nice on the C64 already, and even better on the C128. Maybe you can adapt some of the tricks they used.
That's a beautiful demo!
I don't know what I can get from it though. I'm way too far in another direction.

Oh wow, I just noticed you can walk around with joy 2! I figured it was "just" rendering some precomputed scenes. Jaw dropping. I feel inadequate now. Thanks. :cry:
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

TNT wrote:
Kweepa wrote:How about masking before shifting, that will eliminate the need for "clc".
Hmm, would that still work when the "shifting" is all NOPs?
Yes, if you clear carry before you enter the loop and if you don't read textures backwards (step is always positive). I doubt you wrap address from $ffff to $0000 on purpose.

You can combine NOPs to undocumented "nop #imm / nop $abs" (or use "bit $zp / bit $abs" if you don't like undocumented opcodes) to save couple of cycles.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Kweepa wrote:Oh wow, I just noticed you can walk around with joy 2! I figured it was "just" rendering some precomputed scenes. Jaw dropping. I feel inadequate now. Thanks. :cry:
The renderer in the Andropolis Doom stage "just" needs to draw the top and bottom lines of all walls. Then there's a completely unrolled EOR filler thrown against the bitmap. The halftones are realised by handling even and odd rasters separately.

But this renderer won't do textures.

Anyway, over the years I have made the observation that the speed a "core" routine might deliver nearly always gets gobbled up by overhead of the surrounding program in the order of ~50%. I.e. if you have a line routine available which does ~30000 pixels/second if driven directly (I do have ;)), you will only get around ~15000 pixels/second in a "real world" application.

So, something around 45 cycles/pixel surely isn't bad for a constant-Z texture-mapper, but then you also need to clear the screen, exchange display buffers somehow, calculate slopes, clip lines, etc. And then 4-5 fps for that window size is in order. :)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Mike wrote: So, something around 45 cycles/pixel surely isn't bad for a constant-Z texture-mapper, but then you also need to clear the screen, exchange display buffers somehow, calculate slopes, clip lines, etc. And then 4-5 fps for that window size is in order. :)
Totally agreed.
Clear the screen - not much you can do about that. With a bit of loop unrolling, about 40 scan lines.
Exchange display buffers can be done in two instructions - just set the character map address. :)
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

I got the inner loop down to 43 cycles average with the suggestions in this thread - thanks all!

Worked on the ai some more. They can now follow the player from sector to sector, shoot, react to being shot, and (sort of) die. Getting there! Some tuning, clean up, and optimization to go.

I don't think I'll be getting this finished for Christmas... sorry, Denial, I don't have a Christmas present for you. :cry: I still have to lay out the other levels, which will take a few days. I might also convert a few more songs.
Diddl
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Diddl »

Kweepa wrote:sorry, Denial, I don't have a Christmas present for you. :cry: I still have to lay out the other levels, which will take a few days. I might also convert a few more songs.
No problem, we waited nearly 30 years for that, so it makes no difference to wait another couple of weeks or month ... ;)

But it is really great and I enjoy to see this project growing!

Have a nice Christmas all you Denial members!! :D
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Take your time, we can slay foes also in Easter time :P .
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

This is ridiculously cool! Two of my favourite things mixed together into a ball of high improbability! What a birthday present! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3