Finished: THEATER OF WAR ww2 strategy game.

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

You can extract the four PRG files (1P - 2P classic graphics, 1P - 2P alternate graphics) with D64 editor. :wink:
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Jeff-20 wrote:I know it's annoying, but can I have a PRG? I don't really know how to work with D64 files on real hardware. I keep forgetting what commands I need to enter to access it on my uIEC.
You should be able to extract the .prg files with the program oion70 referred to, or even StarCommander. Keep in mind that the version I uploaded is a disk-based multi-load version as opposed to the single file version I submitted to the minigame compo.

The namesake "Theater of War" is from a board game I created in 1997 about the second world war. Here is a partial scan of the European map (there was also a Pacific map). I also created 2000 counters (to represent 16 types of units).

It was basically a more detailed and complex version of Axis & Allies.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Wow! Congratulations! No (expanded) VIC version for this? :P
As a sidenote: Italian borders in the 1930s and 40s included Slovenia, and part of Croatia (Dalmatian coasts and Istria).
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote:Wow! Congratulations! No (expanded) VIC version for this? :P
As a sidenote: Italian borders in the 1930s and 40s included Slovenia, and part of Croatia (Dalmatian coasts and Istria).
Yes, I recognized the mistake after the map was finished by hand. But I didn't feel like re-doing the entire thing to correct that mistake.

But the Dalmatian coast wasn't added to Italy until 1941. This map is supposed to be 1939.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Success!!! :D
Learning all the time... :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

darkatx wrote:Image

Success!!! :D
Congratulations! Is this from the latest version? (latest build was from Nov. 27). Do you find the game too easy now? Do you think I should increase the difficulty? :)

I played it again last Saturday, and I actually was beaten at level 2.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Can't you see the picture?! ...lol...by the skin of my teeth!
It's mostly hit or miss...I can normally breeze through the first 2 levels and get by the third somewhat quickly.
Sometimes, my forces suffer from 'bad guy movie aim' syndrome. Can't hit the broadside of a barn!
When that happens, I'm in deep trouble and because of it I got demolished on level 3 - totally overwhelmed.
Level 4 is always near impossible...and level 5 well...
Learning all the time... :)
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

darkatx wrote:Can't you see the picture?! ...lol...by the skin of my teeth!
It's mostly hit or miss...I can normally breeze through the first 2 levels and get by the third somewhat quickly.
Sometimes, my forces suffer from 'bad guy movie aim' syndrome. Can't hit the broadside of a barn!
When that happens, I'm in deep trouble and because of it I got demolished on level 3 - totally overwhelmed.
Level 4 is always near impossible...and level 5 well...
I wonder how a game that goes to level 10 would be like ;)

(Well, the reason why I set it to 5 levels is because there is no save game option and I don't want players to become exasperated after a few hours of playing. Of those games where I made it to level 5, I think the game lasted about 1.5 to 2 hours and I think that is enough.)

Ultimately, it is a game of chance, but a good strategy can maximize one's chances.

The game can have very tense and exciting moments, especially when things go badly for the player.

Have you ever played Tuntematon Sotilas (also for the VIC-20)? I downloaded it a couple of weeks before I started to make this game (it was actually the catalyst that inspired me to finally make my war game). In that game, you play the Finns against the Soviets and you're outnumbered by something like 10:1. There is even a "fog of war" effect.