Diamond Hunt ML

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Diamond Hunt ML

Post by GreyGhost »

I put this here because when finished it will be a game, but at the moment it is still a work in progress. Not being as imaginative as Jeff :wink: , I am rewriting a basic game I created years ago. I figured the best way to learn ML is to write something with it. Here is what I have so far:

http://www.freedrive.com/file/1385286

There is no monster/player collisions or title or death screens, very simple sounds and no music. I was hoping some of you guys could check out the code and give some pointers, criticisms, comments and what not. Also with the monster movement, as of now the monster just mindlessly wanders the screen. I was hoping for a monster that moved with a little purpose. In my basic version, It was easy to track the player because of the x-y co ordinances. This version doesn't use x-y to move around. I was thinking of setting up a false x-y to use to track with. Any suggestions on that?

Also from another thread, I did figure out how to use the output files from Chargen :D

Anyway, any comments will be appreciated.

Later,
Last edited by GreyGhost on Tue Nov 08, 2011 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rob
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for the kind words, but often, as the guys here have pointed out, my games are unintentionally (and on rare occasion intentionally) similar to existing games.

This game is a great example of how graphics and sound can make a game. This is quite fun. I kept going even when I realized I was in no real danger because I wanted to see how many variations there were. Even when it repeated, I didn't notice right away because there are so many graphics.

Level two was a little difficult because the exit is the same color as the barriers, but I guess that adds to the strategy. I like how quickly the screen sets up. I had a similar game as a kid, but in Basic, the screen set up between rounds killed the fun. I'm really enjoying this first draft.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

nice WIP, I like the different characters for the various levels, this is a great way to reduce the feel of 'level repetition'. Tthe only improvements i can suggest are:- make sure the characters colors are different to avoid any confusion between objects. as for the AI, you might want to try increasing the number of enemies (working in ML, there should be no speed issues), A swarm of stupid enemies can be just as dangerous as one smart enemy. Mabey a time limit per level, that gets a bit shorter every time the set of levels repeats. Keep up the good work!!!
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Hi, Just wanted to give you guys an update. I have still been working on this program off and on in between other things. You can download the latest version here:

http://www.freedrive.com/file/1385286

I added more monsters, put in a title screen added some more sounds and tightened the code a bit. Still have some bugs to work out and want to add a few more features to it. Have fun.

Later,
Rob
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

Hey all.

It is finally finished. It is my first attempt at an all ML game. I wrote this entirely with CBMprg Studio (Vic PRG at the beginning). It is an arcade/maze type of game. Grab the diamonds and escape before the monsters get you. Increasing difficulty as you progress(more, faster, and smarter monsters). I know someone mentioned before about the color schemes but as I was play testing I found that sometimes the colors added a level of difficulty to the game. I found myself searching for the exit hole a few times when the surrounding objects were black as well. Hehe so I left it in there. Hope you guys enjoy this game. I have other things I want to start work on. Hopefully will be done sooner than this one.

image host

Here it is:

http://www.freedrive.com/file/1502250
Last edited by GreyGhost on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

So this is essentially an improved version of your game from 2005? Just want to check before adding it to GB20 etc ;)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

It's a completely new look, same general concept. Old version was compiled BASIC this is all ML.
Rob
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

It's a challenge seeing something all the way through to completion in this hobby, so congratulations for finishing this project at all. I just played it for a bit with the numpad in VICE, and my only real criticism is that the action seemed a little choppy/fast. If you used software sprites for the player and enemies it would be easier to see what's going on I think. But I can't say for sure having only played with a keyboard. Otherwise, it's quite a fun game and some nice attention to little details that I enjoyed. Good work!
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'll be adding it as a separate entry GG, just wanted to check that it was related to the previous game, even with the same name.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

I noticed the review of this game in Commodore Free #54. Woohoo! My first review ever. Thanks for that.
I just wanted to add a few things that I might have forgotten to explain. When you drop your caltrops, try to collect them again before you leave the level. They will be more valuable when the fast moving monsters are on your butt.
I noticed an error in the review about getting your player icon stuck. Don't forget that your icon can move 8 directions, so in that said situation move the joystick SE or any diagonal direction that applies. A real joystick and not just the emulator would help.

Again, thanks for the review and I agree the game does need refining. What ever the scores I received, it was nice.
Rob