TGA - The Great Adventure

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Yesterday, I decided not to buy a sword and became a hero after 121 weeks. New personal record!

BTW, I copied your little "BOOT" program for "VINBOOT". I hope you don't mind. I was a bit in a hurry today to put everything together.
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Kananga wrote:Yesterday, I decided not to buy a sword and became a hero after 121 weeks. New personal record!
:shock: I never did it without one! Congratulations.
Kananga wrote:BTW, I copied your little "BOOT" program for "VINBOOT". I hope you don't mind. I was a bit in a hurry today to put everything together.
I don't mind - it's not even mine, it's Mike's (originally done to load VICtoria Gold) :wink: .
hawk
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by hawk »

I wanted to add my thanks to Orion for a great game. I've been playing it on real hardware and find that the loading times allow me time to do two things at once.

I was struggling to win until I upgraded to V7 today and finished in 86 weeks. Starting with above average stats makes a difference.

I really enjoy the game balance and find that it continues to get more difficult even though my character improves. I noted the healing potion glitch in the earlier versions, but now it seems to work fine.

Thanks again.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hey Hawk, you're welcome. As I said before, I'm happy that people enjoy this game as much as I did (in both versions, C64 and VIC's). I should add that all the problems coming from the original version were corrected thanks mainly to e5frog, Tokra, Kananga, Kweepa, and of course Mike, who also provided Minigrafik :D.
With their help, we can now say that the VIC version is the best one :wink: .
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

Wow, amazing how far this game has come since I last checked on it. Fantastic!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks - happy you like it. I think the difficulty is well balanced in the last version. :D
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

This is a great game. I've been playing it all afternoon! It's like a text only Roguelike and I love those games! Makes me want a proper roguelike on the Vic though...

PS: Is there a way to check my character stats at any time? I haven't found a way but I'd like to to. :) Also, can I use a potion when I want? Again, I haven't found a way to do that either... :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I'm afraid both things are not possible, Pedro... Sorry for that, maybe in future versions with enhanced graphics, speech (!) etc - you never know what the VIC can do, right? :D

Glad you enjoyed the game!
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Oh well, I'll wait for the Director's Cut then. :P Still enjoying the game though. :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:PS: Is there a way to check my character stats at any time? I haven't found a way but I'd like to to. :) Also, can I use a potion when I want? Again, I haven't found a way to do that either... :)
You can STOP the program, and then print the variables out yourself and then continue the game with CONT hopefully. It doesn't seem like it would be too hard to add another key-press option to all screens to print the stats out, it would be very handy.

I would buy this game as a cartridge, that would be really neat not having the load times for the pictures. Perhaps a limited edition of 30?
My other interest: http://channelf.se
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I'll work on a TGA_V8 some day in the (hopefully) near future.
I have little spare time, and currently I'm using it contributing to the VIC Office Suite and TNT's Z-machine project.

As for a TGA cart, well, it would be great, but I can't see how this could be done - at least, I have no means to do it.. Maybe using the emulator without true drive emulation is the best way to enjoy the game (for now).
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

I guess it would perhaps require built in ram in the cartridge for the expansion. A 32kB CY62256 RAM (you can buy 5 for $10 on eBay) can perhaps be used. Instead of loading things from disk it could load from the cartridge. Just copy everything down from the cart to the correct memory area as if you had loaded it from disk.

I'm thinking the Behr-Bonz platform with added RAM, should be entirely doable.

Perhaps something I (or anyone else knowledgeable about this) can look into when you have finished it. If I'm the only one interested I guess I could get a Behr-Bonz cart and hack it... like I hacked my Mole Attack cart into a multi-cart...
It would need to be seriously error free of course, changes aren't very fun to do after the chips are soldered.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

e5frog wrote:Just copy everything down from the cart to the correct memory area as if you had loaded it from disk.
When MINIGRAFIK displays graphics from a loaded file, it does a little bit more than just copying one memory chunk to the right place. ;)
It would need to be seriously error free of course, changes aren't very fun to do after the chips are soldered.
In any case, the main program, all images, and the supporting ML routines together require ~57K, so a banked solution is necessary. The FE3 could serve as interesting platform for you to implement your idea.
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

When MINIGRAFIK displays graphics it must fetch data from somewhere and place it somewhere, it could very well fetch that from ROM just as from IEC. I don't know how much has to be edited though.

Yes, or as I mentioned the Behr Bonz or my own bank switching design but perhaps FE3 already has the ram designed in as well, the Mega Cart can be looked upon as well, don't know if all of them are open for view.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

e5frog wrote:I don't know how much has to be edited though.
When the file has been loaded, the bitmap data is already at the correct place.

To display the picture, MINIGRAFIK also initialises the colour RAM from extra data in the file, reprograms several VIC registers, and writes the address generating "text" screen to $1000. All actions done in one @LOAD command. :)

It uses the standard load kernal vector, so if you could provide a ROM based filing system, which wedges into the vector, that would provide you with a plug-in solution.

The FE3 has 512K RAM and 512K Flash EPROM built-in. OTOH, with SJLOAD the loading times for the pictures are around 1 second only. It is just a FOR loop in line 9905 after the prompt 'Please wait ...', which slows down the process a little bit more - for another 2 seconds ...