TGA - The Great Adventure

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

orion70
VICtalian

TGA - The Great Adventure

Post by orion70 »

Hello everybody. Recently, I had fun converting an old text RPG (multiple-choices) from a C64 Italian version written by Alessandro Castellari back in 1983. I also added some static graphics via Minigrafik/PGM Import, just to add spice to a nice, simple game that I always found to be very addictive.

I propose this to you, hoping that it will give moments of fun :D .

Link to the post in VIC20 Software Releases of 2010.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

woah...!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

wow !!!

Very nice adventure and very nice Graphics !!!

Incredible !

Very good job, my comliments !

PS: Very impressive screen... YOU ARE DEAD :shock:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

Fantastic! I can see why you were addicted and the graphics are a great addition. It's a fun game. How many possible quests/scenarios are there?

I have a few fixes with the text to propose:

YOUR WONDERFUL --->YOU'RE WONDERFUL
They're reaching you!--->They approach!

Back home by a a village ('a' is repeated)

I want to showcase this one on my blog some time in the near future. Keep up the great work!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thank you guys. With this game, I complete the conversion to VIC of the fantastic duo I used to play on the C64: Avventura (TGA) and Annals of Rome (VICtoria Gold).

@ robinsonmason: thanks for the fixes. TGA_v2 is available for download - link updated.
Your wonderful adventure was intended to mean exactly the wonderful adventure of yours, so I simplified it to your adventure continues. :)
Last edited by orion70 on Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:41 am, edited 4 times in total.
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Awesome graphics! Nice work.

An the weather forecast for the upcoming weekend promises rain... :)
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

orion70 wrote: @ robinsonmason: thanks for the fixes. TGA_v2 is available for download - link updated.
Your wonderful adventure was intended to mean exactly the wonderful adventure of yours, so I simplified it to your adventure continues. :)
Ah, my mistake! I missed the wraparound text. LOL - I thought it was something like - "You defeated the Ogre, you're wonderful!" :P I'll DL the new one, thanks!
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Bug

Post by Kananga »

Very addictive game. It is still raining and I started my umpteenth character (died a lot tonight).
This time it looked good so far until:

POKING AROUND YOU FIND

A GOOD-LUCK CHARM.

?BAD SUBSCRIPT
ERROR IN 5180
READY.
LIST 5180

5180 WX=WX+1:OS$(WX)=LEFT$(GF$,9)

READY.
?WX

READY.

I played it on the real Vic (of course!), so I copied above information from the screen of my 1081.
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Sorry for that, in some way I was expecting such a problem.

The variable OS$(WX) is DIMensioned to 20 (i.e., 20 objects max. to collect). I thought it was a reasonable compromise: the original program for the C64 had up to OS$(99). I play-tested the game and finished it without using more than 20 objects, so I thought it was improbable to meet such a stop.

We should try and solve this problem. :? Of course, the bigger is OS$, the lower is the free RAM left. With the current DIM OS$(20), ?FRE(0) gives about 1500 bytes free, and gets as low as 200-300 during the game...

Anyone has suggestions? Please, feel free to modify the program. Maybe optimizing the code could allow raising the max object number.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

From what I've seen, the full description of the item in the inventory is only read from OS$(...), when you have purchased, or looted it. Later on, only comparisons are made with the first letter of the string in OS$().

I.e. inserting line 505 thus:

Code: Select all

505 OS$(YY)=LEFT$(OS$(YY),1)
at least will minimize the space occupied by the inventory, and should allow for a DIMOS$(99) again.

Nice game! :D

Greetings,

Michael
dabone
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by dabone »

Just played a few games using a NTSC vic and the FE3 cart.
Works great, the only problem I have run into so far is that when it goes to loading a graphic, there is no feedback on screen to wait, and with the sd2iec device, no drive running.So I hit keys, and then after the graphic loaded, it was skipped. (Maybe clear the keyboard buffer, then check for a keypress when the graphic screens are loaded?)

Later,
dabone
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

dabone wrote:Maybe clear the keyboard buffer, then check for a keypress when the graphic screens are loaded?
TGA does this in line 9830, albeit for one key only. You must be rather an impatient person, hammering away at the keyboard. ;)

Altering line 9830 to:

9830 GETB$:IFB$<>""THEN9830
purges the keyboard buffer before waiting for a key.

There is an easier solution, but this one keeps POKEs outside of the program. 8)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Here I am with TGA_v3 (all links updated).

Thanks so much Mike! Always helpful. I did the suggested modifications, i.e.
Mike wrote:From what I've seen, the full description of the item in the inventory is only read from OS$(...), when you have purchased, or looted it. Later on, only comparisons are made with the first letter of the string in OS$().
[back to DIM OS$(99) :wink: ]*
and
Mike wrote:Altering line 9830 to:

9830 GETB$:IFB$<>""THEN9830
purges the keyboard buffer before waiting for a key.
Furthermore, in v3 the message "PLEASE WAIT WHILE LOADING GRAPHICS..." appears every time you have to wait on the real VIC.
Last, a bug concerning the "good luck charm(s)" was corrected (no charms in your inventory even if you bought or received them, due to an error in line 480).

Thank you for your help and suggestions, and once again HAVE FUN!

*EDIT!!!: I tested it and it goes out of memory nonetheless after collecting some objects. DIM OS$(40) seems to be a more convenient compromise.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Neat! Looking forward to playing a diskette-based game on VIC + Mega-Cart memory expansion -- thanks for doing this.

And if you had not done so already, please update STRENGHT to STRENGTH in the opening dice roll screen. :P
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
e5frog
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by e5frog »

I have some more language suggestions:

throw a 20-faces dice => THROW A 20-FACED DICE
(It's in there more than once)

You usually don't use space between the last word in a sentence and the sign (don't know the English word).

They're approaching ! => THEY'RE APPROACHING!

He dodged your hit!
Did he dodge or did he hit? You can dodge a punch, a swing but not a hit?

I just opened the .d64 in a hexeditor and looked through it, these were the ones I could find.

Looks great, I'm looking forward to playing it, what's the lowest working memory setting BTW - not that it matters, I have the Mega-Cart but it would be nice to know anyway.
My other interest: http://channelf.se