WIP: Space Trader

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

WIP: Space Trader

Post by ravenxau »

Space Trader - Inspired by the discussion over in the programming thread about VIC20 hires modes being used to create a port of Elite. Space Trader takes place only in our own solar system. The aim is to survive and earn credits by trading commodities between colonies situated on various moons throughout the solar system. You will be attacked by pirates, but should you manage to destroy them, bonus credits will be your rewarded. Unexpanded VIC - All BASIC - Keyboard play

Credit for some of the code must go to a one-line space trader game i found on a zx-spectrum website, thank you to who ever the author is.

The trading screen, there are four commodities to trade and four moons to trade between. Trading is done by selecting the commodity and how much you wish to purchase ( a negative value is used to sell items of cargo)

Set course for another moon by selecting its number and then selecting it again to confirm the destination.

The space flight screen, survive the pirate attack (destroy them if you can for bonus credits) and you will automatically dock at the colony. Credits will be automatically deducted for your stay at the colony, to recharge your shields (show at the top left of the flight screen) and refuel your ship.

Game controls:- steer your ship with Q,A,O,P and use the space bar to fire at the pirates.

Good Luck, Space Trader
Android Tablet running Frodo 64 emulator running VIC 20 emulator....
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Wow Ravenxau, I missed this post! Space trading/exploration (and some space fighting) are a must for the VIC; there are no other games in this genre, except maybe from the Trader trilogy.
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: WIP: Space Trader

Post by DanSolo »

ravenxau wrote:Credit for some of the code must go to a one-line space trader game i found on a zx-spectrum website, thank you to who ever the author is.
Hi there. Great game!
Can you link me to this original one-liner?

EDIT: OK, found it.
http://reptonix.awardspace.co.uk/sincla ... trader.htm
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Ok, after shelving the project for a while due to lack of time - I finally got around to looking at the code today. After some fiddling around i decided to make a 1k entry for the current mini-game competition (this version comes in at about 780 bytes)

Basic Instructions:-

Trade by selecting the the number 1,2,3 or 4 of what items you wish to trade.

Enter the amount of units you wish to buy (a negative number for selling).

Enter the number of destination 5,6,7 or 8 twice. This will send you to the flight/combat phase where you must defend yourself from pirates.

The destination space station is shown as a small circle in the center of the screen. Maneuver you craft with the Q,A,O and P Keys to get the pirate in the center of your screen and fire with the space bar.

If your shields become critical, the border of the screen will turn red.

Upon docking at the station, you will be charged a fee of 10 credits for accommodation and repairs to your ship. There may be a bonus if there was a bounty on the pirate.

The game is not perfect, there are cheats to making more money - it is your choice to play in the spirit of the game (remember it is less than 800 bytes)

Have Fun, Space Trader

http://d.1asphost.com/ravenxau/st1k.prg

EDIT:- Updated download link to a different host
Last edited by ravenxau on Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy.
:?:
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

orion70 wrote:
This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download. Please check out Tripod's Help system for more information about Remote Loading and our Remote Loading policy.
:?:
Updated the download link - hope it works now. I forgot that tripod doesnt actually host my download files :oops:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:D Impressive! Congrats on this excellent mini-game.
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

Update:-

New screen shots, Docking now only costs 5 credits, Market prices vary more (particularly for the cheaper goods), Maximum of 8 units per buying transaction, Entering zero's (spending a day without trading) now costs 2 credits to encourage you to trade or move on, Display shield strength, A sound effect.

Still just over 800 bytes!!!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:shock:
ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

ravenxau wrote:Ok, after shelving the project for a while due to lack of time - I finally got around to looking at the code today. After some fiddling around i decided to make a 1k entry for the current mini-game competition (this version comes in at about 780 bytes)

Basic Instructions:-

Trade by selecting the the number 1,2,3 or 4 of what items you wish to trade.

Enter the amount of units you wish to buy (a negative number for selling).

Enter the number of destination 5,6,7 or 8 twice. This will send you to the flight/combat phase where you must defend yourself from pirates.

The destination space station is shown as a small circle in the center of the screen. Maneuver you craft with the Q,A,O and P Keys to get the pirate in the center of your screen and fire with the space bar.

If your shields become critical, the border of the screen will turn red.

Upon docking at the station, you will be charged a fee of 10 credits for accommodation and repairs to your ship. There may be a bonus if there was a bounty on the pirate.

The game is not perfect, there are cheats to making more money - it is your choice to play in the spirit of the game (remember it is less than 800 bytes)

Have Fun, Space Trader

http://d.1asphost.com/ravenxau/st1k.prg

EDIT:- Updated download link to a different host

Need Help!!! - due to a hard drive crash I have lost my entire vic 20 collection - if anyone has a downloaded copy of Space Trader they could send me, it would be greatly appreciated......

EDIT:- I was able to get into my old tripod account and retrieve the file myself...whew!!!!