Rescue at Rigel and Star Warrior - Is Wikipedia Wrong?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Rescue at Rigel and Star Warrior - Is Wikipedia Wrong?

Post by robinsonmason »

According to the (never wrong ;) ) Wikipedia, "Star Warrior" the second game in the Starquest series, was also out for the VIC-20: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Warrior

This came to my attention after reading the Rescue at Rigel Wiki here at Denial (where R@R was listed as "quite possibly the only game in the Starquest series"), so I corrected it and added a reference to Star Warrior, but I did not specify whether or not Star Warrior ever really came out for the VIC-20.

It does sound like a neat game, even more of a "tactical" RPG than Rescue at Rigel:
Star Warrior is based on the same BASIC engine as previous Apshai-based games. In previous games the playfield was presented as a top-down view of a series of interconnected rooms. Only one room would be displayed at a time, with the next drawn after the player moved through a door. In Star Warrior the action takes place outdoors, with the display showing a one-kilometer area from a seven-by-nine kilometer map, redrawn and re-centered when the player reaches the edge of the current area displayed.
Last edited by robinsonmason on Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

http://www.cyberroach.com/analog/an04/newproducts.htm

STAR WARRIOR FOR ATARI COMPUTER

Automated Simulations
P.O. Box 4247
Mountain View, CA 94040

Star Warrior, a fast action science fiction adventure, is now available for the Atari 800 from Epyx, by Automated Simulations, Inc.

In Star Warrior, the player is an interplanetary avenger, who must single-handedly take on an entire planetary force of storm troopers and nine types of military vehicles.

In Star Warrior, the player can walk, jump - or even fly over swamps, forests and mountains. He is armed with sophisticated electronic direction finding equipment, decoys to fool the enemy, nuclear missiles, blaster and powergun.

In addition to several suits of armor, the player also has a choice of two scenarios.

In the first, he must direct the enemy away from the main attack, while destroying as many military installations as possible. He can even set his own time limit, so he can play for a little or a as long as he likes.

In the second scenario, the player must track down and destroy the tyrannical military governor and his staff. But the governor is always on the move, so the player never knows where to find him from one session to the next.

Star Warrior has 19 command options and five levels of skill combined with sound effects and graphics display.

Star Warrior comes boxed on a cassette or disk for the Atari 800 with 32K RAM. Suggested retail price is $39.95. Star Warrior is an EPYX game from Automated Simulations P.O. Box 4247 Mountain View CA 94040.

http://archive.kontek.net/gotcha.classi ... m/epyx.htm

Star Warrior Epyx Atari/Tandy Cass RPG F 1980
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Wow! That does sound really cool. I have never heard of this game and NEVER seen any reference or clue to it being available for the VIC-20 - despite being an enthusiastic collector of EPYX releases for the VIC.

I suspect the original Wikipedia article was wrong. I have an EPYX catalogue from around 1982 which lists what platforms they were releasing their games for. I'll have to have a look at it. I do remember, though, that it listed some games as being available for the VIC-20 which were never released (to my knowledge).
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

That makes sense, ral-clan (that they might have intended a release and the article nod to the VIC-20 is based on promotional material).

I did manage to find .dsk copies of Rescue at Rigel and Star Warrior along with a full color PDF of R@R in an Apple II archive. The Apple II version of Star Warrior has oversized detailed graphics that seem a bit stiff (different than the Atari 8-bit (?) example in the image above) --- but Rescue at Rigel for the Apple II looks more like the VIC-20 version.
Trypticon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Trypticon »

ral-clan wrote:Wow! That does sound really cool. I have never heard of this game and NEVER seen any reference or clue to it being available for the VIC-20 - despite being an enthusiastic collector of EPYX releases for the VIC.

I suspect the original Wikipedia article was wrong. I have an EPYX catalogue from around 1982 which lists what platforms they were releasing their games for. I'll have to have a look at it. I do remember, though, that it listed some games as being available for the VIC-20 which were never released (to my knowledge).
Atarimania has some EPYX cataloges, the only one listing VIC-20 items mentions Crush Crumble, Rigel, Fargoal and Ricochet , but not Star Warrior for the VIC.
http://www.atarimania.com/catalog-atari ... 208_8.html
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Monster Maze rom cartridge for Vic and Dragons Eye for 32k PET are also listed in my 1982 catalogue included with Crush Crumble and Chomp

In Temple of Apshai I have a fall 84 catalogue with Fun with Music listed for the Vic20.

Apparently upper reaches of Apshai (150 chambers four levels expansion) and Gateway to Apshai were also available for C64
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Trypticon
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Trypticon »

I'd be interested if someone could dig up the Dragon's Eye version for the PET, there's a C64 version floating around which I believe is a conversion of that.

There's also another Temple of Apshai version for Coleco Adam found on the net, but it's marked as hack/patched. Maybe it's a conversion of an unreleased Coleco cartridge.
Last edited by Trypticon on Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

Guys, if you're interested I've been gathering Dungeonquest related games and documentation. Some are scans of my own. I need to scan in Temple, Curse, and Upper as the few PDFs I've run across are junk. Check out my Epyx DQ related goodness here: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=fb44 ... 51ea3b8ea0
chitselb
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Rescue at Rigel and Star Warrior - Is Wikipedia Wrong?

Post by chitselb »

I have Rigel (for PET) and I had Dragon's Eye too, might still be in the boxes of tapes.