Island of Secrets Graphic Adventure

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

G Column of the old temple of Hera Lacinia (Juno) in Calabria perhaps?
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Excellent! I',ve been there when I was 13, and the place was forever impressed in my mind. Here's the original picture:

The remaining two are really difficult if not impossible, so I'll reveal them: S is one of the ancient entrances to the city of St. Andrews, Scotland (a tribute to the very first foreign city where I went when I was 13 - and I had a VIC then :wink: ); and V is the Kalahari Desert, where unfortunately I've never been.

Yesterday night, I showed IOSGA to a friend of mine, who is quite keen on old computers (he actually assembled the FE3 for me), but I realized he was not impressed by the graphics screens at all. In particular, he couldn't recognise some of the subjects, such as the swampman, or the logmen on the pier. I had to explain them, and I felt like one of those modern art experts explaining the meaning of abstract paintings :? .
I wonder if I had to choose sharper and simpler images, and/or use "monochrome" combinations such as blue+light blue.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I thought it was the giant foot from Lost. :-)

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

orion70 wrote:[...]In particular, he couldn't recognise some of the subjects, such as the swampman, or the logmen on the pier. I had to explain them, and I felt like one of those modern art experts explaining the meaning of abstract paintings. :? I wonder if I had to choose sharper and simpler images, and/or use "monochrome" combinations such as blue+light blue.
The multi-colour resolution of 80x192 pixels puts a tight limit to small details, even more because the aspect ratio of the pixels is so non-square, and the halftoning adds even more "noise" in a 2x4 pixel pattern.

In my experiments with PGM IMPORT the results often improved, when I masked out unimportant details in the background before converting the picture.

Since most of the pictures were scanned in from the book, it might have been feasible to convert them to B/W lineart, without dither. That would have allowed for 160x192 pixels.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Excellent suggestions Mike - I will use them in my current work :wink: .
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

orion70 wrote:Thanks and welcome back! Been busy lately?
Yes and next days you will see results :wink:
Hope you'll identify the column in G screen - it's not so far away from you, another region and another sea though... :wink:
No i've not identified it :oops:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Has anyone seen this:

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/

You're famous orion! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Another amazing achievement!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Has anyone seen this:

http://www.nightfallcrew.com/

You're famous orion! :)
:D I hope this will open up new horizons for this ever-surprising little machine. I'm currently working on a new project, which will be finished before Easter (being strictly related to this date, in some way).
ral-clan wrote:Another amazing achievement!
Thank you ral-clan. I'm planning to play IOSGA on a real VIC with the FE3 one of these nights. Has anyone already done this?
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I love this! I didn't run into any "I don't understand that" type of messages - great work!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Thanks! Hope you liked the graphics too :D .
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote:Thank you ral-clan. I'm planning to play IOSGA on a real VIC with the FE3 one of these nights. Has anyone already done this?
I recently spent a Saturday afternoon transferring games from the "Official releases for 2008, 2009 2010, etc" threads to D64, and finally on floppy.

I've played Island of Secrets Graphic Adventure on the real hardware and it works great.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
formater
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by formater »

Ghislain wrote:I've played Island of Secrets Graphic Adventure on the real hardware and it works great.
Excellent!. When I re-coded the program for coulored 22 columns, I need to change the parser routine, then I tested the program 4 or 5 times, but only in vice emulator, also, as you know, the mistakes only appear if another people test the program.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

:D I'm happy it works on the real machine, too. I never tested the graphic screens on the VIC, and don't have an idea of how long it takes to load them.
Lozza
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Lozza »

great game

awesome graphics

one of the best things i've seen on the Vic and adventures are right up my street !

superb.
oi oi saveloy