ASCII Roguelikes?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

ASCII Roguelikes?

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Apart from Whack-e are there any ASCII roguelikes for the Vic? I've had a bit of a look but I can't seem to find anything. I vaguely remember Kweepa toying with the idea of writing one but nothings come of it?

How hard would it be to port some of the simpler ones such as the small 7DRL releases now that the Vic has an easy to acquire 32k (or even 512k!) RAM expansion? :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

There's one for the PET simply called DUNGEON (or sometimes D&D) which I'm sure could easily be ported to the VIC (like the recent spat of PET games were last year).
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Pedro, are you sure you're not up to the "kiss and hug" dungeon game? Perhaps a Big Brother game where you have to navigate yourself through a maze-like house and make out with people to keep your popularity (stamina) up and not get voted from the show. Then you dwelve further into the maze until you solve the quest and win the game.

See, I'm great at coming up with lunatic ideas for games but no so much to actually get coding even if I know how to.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
You, sir, are a twisted human being! Now, the if the idea of a Big Brother scenario was implemented using the recent Dead Set framework that would be cool (God, I hate BB!). :P

As far as the PET game goes I think I'll go find it and give it a bash on ViCE...thanks for that...Where's orion70 when you need him?! :)

It does surprise me that there's not loads of these games for the Vic. It seems to me to be a perfect game template for our favourite wee machine.
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
DanSolo
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by DanSolo »

The "Write Your Own Fantasy Games for Your Microcomputer" apparently has a VIC20 version, though I can only find the C64 one available at GB64.
http://www.btinternet.com/~pweighill/music/books/
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Indeed, there was discussion and even a version created here:

http://tinyurl.com/yan89nz

It's a little convoluted to get running but it's pretty nice. Orion talked of making a slightly slicker version for 32k Vics but it hasn't happened yet.

The problem is that, as enjoyable as it is, it just doesn't feel the same as an ASCII game. I don't know why but I just get into the ASCII games more...
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Orion talked of making a slightly slicker version for 32k Vics but it hasn't happened yet.
IIRC, I was only comparing the naiveté and poor graphics of this RPG creator with the RPG Ghislain was developing for the 32K VIC (i.e., RQIII)... Modifying a game creator is well beyond my skills, I'm afraid. :oops:
Pedro Lambrini wrote:The problem is that, as enjoyable as it is, it just doesn't feel the same as an ASCII game. I don't know why but I just get into the ASCII games more...
You're right, it's the same for me. Kind of "old school imprinting". It would be just great if the original Rogue or games of the same family were ported to the expanded VIC. :wink: