**New Release** REALMS OF QUEST 3 (available for order!)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

I just ordered "Realms Of Quest" budget package yesterday. I was just wondering what the wait time is for it to arrive to the USA? Thanks.

Barney
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

Order #713 arrived this morning. Thanks very much to all concerned 8) .
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

English Invader wrote:Order #713 arrived this morning. Thanks very much to all concerned 8) .
I haven't gotten mine yet... So as far as I know, you're the first to receive the order.

So how is it like, give us the details man.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

I actually received mine on Saturday along with my lovely polo shirt. I won't have access to my real hardware for a few days yet so haven't been able to try out the disc yet.

The packaging is gorgeous and the manual looks really nice. It's another very professional job from Kenz on that front. I have the box sitting in pride of place beside my Carling the Spider premium disk box on my book shelf.

Congratulations to all involved in getting this out there, it really is a rather nice package. :)

It's taken quarter of a century but the Vic is finally getting games released on disk. Yay for progress!!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Pedro Lambrini wrote: The packaging is gorgeous and the manual looks really nice.
Have you seen the acknowledgements on page 35?
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you access the games on side two of the disk? I couldn't find anything in the 1541 manual that says how to access the second side of a double sided disk.
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

How do you listen to the music on the other side of a record? ;-)
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

English Invader wrote:
Pedro Lambrini wrote: The packaging is gorgeous and the manual looks really nice.
Have you seen the acknowledgements on page 35?
I did! :P

Sorry for stealing your thunder, I hadn't noticed that Ghislain had asked for your opinion on the packaging before I started blabbing. Maybe I should read all of the post before responding!

How are you enjoying the game? Have you had a chance to really get into it? I've had a D64 image for a while but I really want to wait to play it from the disc on the proper hardware (gotta get some sort of use out of the 32k expansion in the MC!).
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Pedro Lambrini wrote: Sorry for stealing your thunder, I hadn't noticed that Ghislain had asked for your opinion on the packaging before I started blabbing. Maybe I should read all of the post before responding!!).
I hadn't noticed the question either :lol: . Sorry, Ghislain.

I have made some progress in the game (I've learned how to get killed by ogres and giant rats). RPGs have never been my strong suit, but I'm enjoying the challenge on this one.

As for the actual running and loading, I can confirm that the world's first commercial 32k game for the Commodore VIC-20 is in perfect working order. No problems whatsoever.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:I actually received mine on Saturday along with my lovely polo shirt. I won't have access to my real hardware for a few days yet so haven't been able to try out the disc yet.

The packaging is gorgeous and the manual looks really nice. It's another very professional job from Kenz on that front. I have the box sitting in pride of place beside my Carling the Spider premium disk box on my book shelf.

Congratulations to all involved in getting this out there, it really is a rather nice package. :)

It's taken quarter of a century but the Vic is finally getting games released on disk. Yay for progress!!
I just got mine, and I was really surprised to see the shrinkwrap! I dreamed of that moment since I was a kid.

25 years in the making, for sure!
English Invader wrote:I have made some progress in the game (I've learned how to get killed by ogres and giant rats). RPGs have never been my strong suit, but I'm enjoying the challenge on this one.

As for the actual running and loading, I can confirm that the world's first commercial 32k game for the Commodore VIC-20 is in perfect working order. No problems whatsoever.
Thanks! You were asking about the games on side 2, did you try them? What was your impression of them? I only ask because no one has really talked about those. Some of the games I think OK, others not so much, but they get a bit of a showcase anyway.

A big THANK YOU goes to Kenz for all of his help and for putting this out. As well as to everybody else I mention on page 35 (those who have seen the manual will know what I mean!).

a *sigh* of relief. The REALMS OF QUEST III project is finally truly complete.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Ghislain wrote:
Pedro Lambrini wrote: Thanks! You were asking about the games on side 2, did you try them? What was your impression of them? I only ask because no one has really talked about those. Some of the games I think OK, others not so much, but they get a bit of a showcase anyway.
I've tried a few of them (Ringside Boxing, Vicfall and Ice Hockey). The joystick movement is a bit sluggish. I'm guessing that most of these games were programmed in BASIC.

The Napoleon simulator sounds a lot of fun and the pictures at the beginning of each game is a nice touch. I suspect these games will grow on me eventually.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The Napoleon Simulator was one of my favorite games from that year's MiniGame Compo and as far as I'm concerned one of Ghislain's best, at least prior to RoQ III. That is due to I'm not a fan of RPG except those rouge hack'n'slash games, whether those classify under the same genre.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Napoleon Simulator was the last VIC-20 game I made before Realms III. It's an interesting concept, though I think the game probably needs a bit more refinement. It was quickly cobbled together after a few hours of programming. I was into unearthing old 1970s classic type-in games (mostly from Creative Computing magazine) at the time.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I finally managed to solve my credit card problems. Ordered the Premium Ed. with order #758. :D
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

My copy is on its way apparently (along with a couple of C64 titles)... the freeware version was a little minute addition to GB20, as I wanted it to be there for the official distribution (the manual txt file was a bugger to re-edit though!). Might get a bit more promotion that way hopefully :D

Btw, when you select "all" in Vice memory options you get "only" 28k free. Is this still enough to run RoQ3 properly? I tried out the game for a bit and didn't see any immediate issues.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...