**New Release** REALMS OF QUEST 3 (available for order!)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote:The only nitpick I have about Realms of Quest II (your previous game) is that the sound the character makes when walking gets on one's nerves after a while. It's a loud, long "CRUUUUUNCH" sound that doesn't really conjure up images of footsteps at all (unless you step on a landmine!). Could you perhaps tone it down for RoQ-III?

Other than that - RoQ-II is probably one of the most awesome and epic games made for the VIC, ever (well that is until your sequel comes out)!
Uhhh you don't like the walking-crunching sound effect? NO REALMS OF QUEST III for you!!!! :) (to quote the soup nazi)

Just kidding of course, I appreciate the constructive criticism. I'll definitely tone down the walking sound effect and make it more subtle--if only to make it more different than it's predecessor. I also appreciate yours and everyone else's compliments.

Anyway, I've uploaded a demo of what RQ3 looks like so far:

http://www.usaupload.net/d/16rrmg0vf2g

Just load the file with VICE. I forget which version that I have.

So at the title screen you press F1 and from there you can press keys 1-6 to view the characters and press keys A-K to view the monster graphics that I've drawn so far.

What I'm using to draw the graphics is ULTRAFONT for the Commodore 64 and then I extract the graphics to numerical values on the screen after which I copy-paste them into my source code files.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

vsf file not working with VICE 2.0 :cry:
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

orion70 wrote:vsf file not working with VICE 2.0 :cry:
I think I'm using VICE 1.2x on Linux. Anyway, I uploaded the .prg files here:

http://www.usaupload.net/d/0b2t380l83m

What you'll have to do is do the following to run the "demo":

-enable all 8k memory slots (BLK 1,2,3 and 5), reset VICE
-LOAD"RQ3.PRG",8,1
-NEW
-LOAD"RQ4.PRG",8,1
-NEW
-SYS8192

Hope this works for you... cheers.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Nice work so far there :)
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

It's looking very cool. The rat is my favorite. I didn't realize how good the multicolor graphics looks on the Vic.

I also see you added another pic to this download for letter L. The Medusa.

Keep up the great work(drool).
Rob
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Ghislain wrote:I think I'm using VICE 1.2x on Linux. Anyway, I uploaded the .prg files
It works :D .
Great job so far, it makes me impatient, can't wait to see it finished.
Thanks for this! And don't forget to change your avatar once the game is finished :wink: .
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Ho hum, I can't get either thing working. Yes, I am that rubbish! I suppose I'll just wait for a demo (hint, hint!). :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Pedro, download THIS DISK.

Open VICE xvic emu, and enable full blocks RAM. Attach downloaded (and unzipped) disk image in drive 8.
Then, follow Ghislain's instructions:

LOAD"RQ3.PRG",8,1
NEW
LOAD"RQ4.PRG",8,1
NEW
SYS8192

Press F1, then numers 1-6 or letters A through L, and you're done :D .
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

^
Thanks! :)

Very nice. The characters look good to me. Very old school.
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Again, thanks to everybody for the encouragement. I think that posting about my progress on this thread helps me keep motivated to continue working on the game. Right now, I'm doing a minimum of 1 image per day and I've 3 more since the last update: OGRE, MUMMY and MANTICORE.

I'm getting better at creating these graphics now, especially at the composition of the images. I think after I've done the 40 images, I'll probably re-do the hobbit and the orc which I feel they could look better.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

i wonder who will be the first to finish playing the game, when it comes out?
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

vic user wrote:i wonder who will be the first to finish playing the game, when it comes out?
It will literally be a "never-ending story" (not quite, but once you solve the main quest, you can continue playing the randomized missions).

Just wondering--anyone here actually solved Realms of Quest I and II? I've solved RQ1 but I never solved my very own RQ2 -- I got as far as getting 5 orbs while a friend of mine had gotten about 3. You need 10 to solve the game--but after getting the 10 orbs, you start over at 0 and one of your 6 primary abilities (STR, INT, etc) goes up by 1 and you start over again. RQ2 though gives you harder monsters the higher the level that you are.
Last edited by Ghislain on Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I've uploaded a newer version of RQ4.PRG here:

http://www.usaupload.net/d/z0f19z3sbyb

It has 4 new pictures (up to "P") but the real reason why I've uploaded this is to ask everyone's opinion of the new orc ("H"). The orc has been the hardest picture for me to draw for some reason. Anyway, I will stick with this one.

I'll probably redraw the hobbit at a later date.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That hosting site "www.usaupload.com" tries to put a bunch of spyware on my computer every time I access it (tracking cookies, etc.).
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote:That hosting site "www.usaupload.com" tries to put a bunch of spyware on my computer every time I access it (tracking cookies, etc.).
I'm sorry--I really should choose another. I use Linux and that makes me more or less immune to such things. Does anyone have any suggestions for what sites I should use instead? I prefer something quick and easy that doesn't require username/password and a whole bunch of rigamarole just to upload a 5K file.