**New Release** REALMS OF QUEST 3 (available for order!)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Mayhem wrote:Btw, when you select "all" in Vice memory options you get "only" 28k free. Is this still enough to run RoQ3 properly? I tried out the game for a bit and didn't see any immediate issues.
I tink that's because BASIC can only see 28K; the full 32K is available but the last 4K is mapped where BASIC can't use it.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You have 3.5K internally, 24K of continuous expansion memory and the last 8K in block 5, the RAM/ROM slot usually used by game cartridges. It means the game can use 35.5K RAM. I don't know how much of it will actually be in use.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

carlsson wrote:You have 3.5K internally, 24K of continuous expansion memory and the last 8K in block 5, the RAM/ROM slot usually used by game cartridges. It means the game can use 35.5K RAM. I don't know how much of it will actually be in use.
All 8192 bytes are used at A000.

And the main program, after it's loaded, shows 10 bytes free after you do PRINT FRE( 8 ).

So pretty much all of it! :)
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Gotcha... nice to know I don't have to change anything then!
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

Disk arrived today.
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mine yesterday! :D
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

My entire party died after the third enemy encounter. I am no good at RPGs. I just can't seem to run when I should. So, I played Monkey Kong instead. ...and that's as hard as heck! :) Can't beat the 2nd level.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

My copy was shipped yesterday. In the meanwhile, I received a link to the D64 version, and the final version of PDF manual. :D
saehn
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by saehn »

Received it today, looking forward to trying it out! The packaging/manual looks great. :-) Good work, darkatx and kenz!
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Yeah, I got mine yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. :)
Cool stuff...thanks again. :D
Learning all the time... :)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Having already tried the full D64 version, I must say it's impressive. One of the best pieces of sofware ever written for the friendly machine - hands down. :shock:

Thanks for this. It demonstrates once more how underestimated the VIC's possibilities were twenty-five years ago!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Disk arrived today - what a Christmas gift!

[Xmas rhetoric] Thanks for this wonderful piece of art, and for the emotion you gave me in receiving the first brand new commercial release for the VIC-20 in 25 years. [/Xmas rhetoric] :wink:
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

orion70 wrote: [Xmas rhetoric] Thanks for this wonderful piece of art, and for the emotion you gave me in receiving the first brand new commercial release for the VIC-20 in 25 years. [/Xmas rhetoric] :wink:
You forgot Blue Star and Carling the Spider. This is one of only three commercial games on floppy disk and the first ever game designed for the fully-expanded VIC 20.

Politicians and their empty rhetoric :lol: .
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Oh yes, I should have added: the first brand new commercial release I bought for the VIC-20 in 25 years. :D
Of course, these releases are a very good indicator for our VIC's health.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

English Invader wrote:... and the first ever game designed for the fully-expanded VIC 20.
Ah, not quite :) In order to qualify as the first ever game designed for the fully expanded VIC 20, it would require 35K memory expansion. I did not use the 3K block (also supported by the Mega Cart) at $0400.

I actually considered using the 3K block as well, but then decided that this would be a tad excessive -- while 16K expansion carts were fairly common back in the day, 32K ones were fairly rare (but not too hard to find) and 35K cartridges (and beyond) were used by only the most hardcore of VIC-20 hobbyists.

But I think it is the first commercial VIC-20 game to require 32K. Now, we await for some VIC fanatic to create the first 35K one to claim the title for "biggest memory expansion required" game for the VIC-20 :)

Thanks to everyone here who downloaded and/or ordered the game.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound