**New Release** REALMS OF QUEST 3 (available for order!)

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Royas »

This is really coming out nice. The font choice and layout is pretty ideal I'd say.

.... but why's the bat flying sideways!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I like the yellow frame around the picture and white text.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Royas wrote:This is really coming out nice. The font choice and layout is pretty ideal I'd say.

.... but why's the bat flying sideways!
Because the images are 20x40 multicolor... very hard to make it appear upright without having to squish it. Other images such as skeletons, orcs are easy to draw upright because they don't have a large wingspan like a bat does.

Even if it appears sideways, it will have a cool visual when the bat attacks and the image is flipped. And besides, the bat is flying in midair, who says they have to appear upright? ;)
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote:I like the yellow frame around the picture and white text.
Thanks... what about the numbers that appear beside the character names (inside the yellow frame), do you think that looks bad?

But I'll also use the other parts of the inner frame to display other information as well...

The game will have 3 world maps--an overworld (main one, manually designed 128x128 using 8K maybe even down to 4K with compression), a middleworld (formless and desolate using the overworld map and 8K of the VIC-20 ROMspace) and an underworld (basically 'hell' of the game, using 16K of the ROMspace to generate the map).
Last edited by Ghislain on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

I find having the bat displayed sideways, seems to give the feeling of movement, like he is fluttering around, so hope it stays that way.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

vic user wrote:I find having the bat displayed sideways, seems to give the feeling of movement, like he is fluttering around, so hope it stays that way.
Same here. I like the sideways bat (and the fact that it is smiling)!

Oh, and I really like the numbers in the yellow border beside the character names. It prevents the numbers from blending in with the name.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

Ghislain wrote:The game will have 3 world maps--an overworld (main one, manually designed 128x128 using 8K maybe even down to 4K with compression), a middleworld (formless and desolate using the overworld map and 8K of the VIC-20 ROMspace) and an underworld (basically 'hell' of the game, using 16K of the ROMspace to generate the map).
Scratch that... that's a terrible idea. I had a sense of deja-vu when I posted this because I had already written earlier in this thread:
-128 x 128 'overworld' designed by hand that will use 8192 bytes --- basically each tile will use up a nibble (4 bits)... or 2 tiles per byte.
-128 x 128 'middle world' that is generated by a portion (16K) of the ROM space occupied by the main program.
-128 x 128 'under world' generated by the 16K of rom space of the VIC-20 BASIC and kernal (similar to Realms of Quest II).
Good thing that I have this forum to refer to as I make my game. So far, I've used very little hand written notes.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

When using the VIC's ROM as a basis for world maps, how do you ensure that the map is navigable (i.e. that a cluster of mountains or a river doesn't block navigation to a certain portion)?
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

ral-clan wrote:When using the VIC's ROM as a basis for world maps, how do you ensure that the map is navigable (i.e. that a cluster of mountains or a river doesn't block navigation to a certain portion)?
As with Realms of Quest II, I come up with an algorithm that will PEEK the memory location and then display something as follows:

0-127 grass
128-150 water
151 etc

After that, I navigate the map myself to make sure it looks OK. If not, then I manipulate the memory location a little bit until I get something that I like.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

A question to you guys: what does this picture look like to you?

Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

An octopus with two buck teeth.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I'm starting to feel more motivated to work on this game again now. Although I only have about 8K out of the 32K of the game done so far, I'm starting to see things coming together.

I recently downloaded "Oubliette" for the Commodore 64:

I love the concept of this game, but one thing that irked me about it was it's lack of 'userfriendliness' in some circumstances. For example, the interface to organize the party doesn't allow you to delete characters once they're created. However, I still think it's one of the great early RPG games.

The most important thing for me for RQ3 will be to make the interface as easy as possible to use. In fact, because of the extra memory that I'm working with, I will implement a help feature that will tell you the available commands no matter what the situation (walking around, combat, etc).
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Ghislain wrote:A question to you guys: what does this picture look like to you?

Great picture of an octopus, but I also don't know what the two (four?) white pixels are supposed to be.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

ral-clan wrote:Great picture of an octopus, but I also don't know what the two (four?) white pixels are supposed to be.
Brass knuckles. :)
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Davy Jones ... ?

Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing