Track&Field (Yleisurheilu) for Vic20 and C64 TAP files

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mikam73
2049er

Track&Field (Yleisurheilu) for Vic20 and C64 TAP files

Post by Mikam73 »

Last edited by Mikam73 on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
gklinger
Vic 20 Elite

Post by gklinger »

I didn't have much luck with those. The first freezes up my VIC-20 and the second one causes my 64 to crash. I also can't get a proper look at what's on the 64's TAP (which is odd, the VIC one works fine). Anyway. what is the difference between the 64 version and the ones in the GameBase64 (this and this)? I'm intrigued by why you posted this.
In the end it will be as if nothing ever happened.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Its not same game. Its Finnish Amersoft game ´Yleisurheilu´ (english Track & field). We tryed those little with emulator and it did load ok.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

That was one commercial ridden site, if I ever saw one!

Anyway, I managed to load the VIC-20 version in WinVICE 1.22 but I don't have a clue how to play it. It seems you need at least 8K expansion.

Hm, from analysing the Basic listing it looks like this game relies on paddles. Is that so, Mika? Unfortunately it makes it unplayable through emulation and so also for many of us on real hardware. :-(
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, in the C64 version you can play with joystick. On the other hand, it seems awfully primitive. By pulling the joystick upwards to a maximum, you keep running. I don't know if you can run faster by pulling it down sometimes. Probably the difference between VIC and C64 versions is that the VIC only has one joystick port and in order to allow two simultaneous players, they had to make it play with paddles.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Yes. It uses paddles and needs 8k mem expander. Only ´Track & Field´ game for Vic20 (so far) that I know.

C64 version looks really like basic game, I can imagine that it wouldnt sell very well, course there was games like Summer Games etc that looked lot better.

I wasnt even sure that '*Amersoft did made C64 version, before I managed find tape.

But lets talk more about Vic20 game 8)

I remember that there was little program at tape that you needed load to calibrate paddles first.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

May I suggest Sport Sport by Aleksi Eeben/CNCD 2002?

It can be found on VIC-20 Demodisk #1, and is rather a graphical demo than a full fledged T&F game. However I believe he or someone else could expand on it to become a complete game if the desire is high.

http://server.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/c ... index.html
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Anyone kind enought make this disc (D64) version. Tapes are pain and I love play with real Vic20 8)
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Very hard work, it use protections and there are 14 files to fix inside the tap :shock:
Dump the original disk version if any, sorry.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
d0c
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by d0c »

Mikam73 wrote:Anyone kind enought make this disc (D64) version. Tapes are pain and I love play with real Vic20 8)
i want a d64 image to... please help..
1983 vic20 & 3k-16k ram expansion....
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

nbla000 wrote:Very hard work, it use protections and there are 14 files to fix inside the tap :shock:
Dump the original disk version if any, sorry.
I dont have disc version. I have never seen any and dont think that there is disc version of this game. Disc drives were so rare and expensive.

Its protected somehow? I didnt think that Vic20 games had protections usually and wouldnt believe that they use things like that at Finland. But I dont know.

14 files. Looks like everyevent is different file and also paddle calibration is one.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Mikam73 wrote:Its protected somehow?
Yes, try to load it just typing "LOAD" not CBM+SHIFT, it runs anyway.
I didnt think that Vic20 games had protections usually and wouldnt believe that they use things like that at Finland. But I dont know.
I don't know in Finland but games protections on Vic-20 wasn't unusual.
14 files. Looks like everyevent is different file and also paddle calibration is one.
The problem for 14 files is that you need to check each one to see how they load the next part and change the code to allow disk loading, i don't know Finnish and VICE do not support paddle Emulation, there are a lot of obstacles and works.
Maybe Carlsson may help you.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

There is a SYS call which lets you load the tape buffer and stops:
SYS 63407

From there one can disassemble the buffer and make neccessary changes to continue the loading:
SYS 62980

The buffer also tells where each file goes into the memory.

On the other hand, aren't there already tools to extract individual files from a TAP? I think of wav-prg and perhaps cbmconvert. If the 14 files can be extracted, half the job is done.

I'll see if I can spend some time on this tonight or in the weekend. I have a few other projects ongoing that are more urgent.
Anders Carlsson

orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Don't know if it can be of help, but I managed to obtain a t64 file and a d64 from the tap. There, you can see the single 14 files. The t64 works; the d64 obviously hangs at the very beginning.
I tried the game, but I'm not so good in Ugro-Finnish languages... :?

Seems like it's VERY basic:

The Paddles calibration id done via "Paddlen Saato" (easy enough to understand):

Other files don't seem to load, if you don't start from the first one.
Apparently, it accepts one player only, so maybe it can be played with the joystick. :?:
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

carlsson wrote:There is a SYS call which lets you load the tape buffer and stops:
SYS 63407

From there one can disassemble the buffer and make neccessary changes to continue the loading:
SYS 62980
Interesting btw for this game after the SYS63407, the buffer do not contain code and, without modifies, after the SYS62980, the Vic crashes. :?
On the other hand, aren't there already tools to extract individual files from a TAP? I think of wav-prg and perhaps cbmconvert. If the 14 files can be extracted, half the job is done.
OK then half the job is done, you may download the D64 file with all programs with same name and in the same order of the TAP file but the game doesn't work of course, i've used wav-prg.
I'll see if I can spend some time on this tonight or in the weekend. I have a few other projects ongoing that are more urgent.
OK, may you translate it too ? :wink:

Edit: Hey Orion we have done the same work in the same time, but aren't you busy like me on PaperSoft Project :wink:
Last edited by nbla000 on Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.