Recommend a good game for young children.

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Iltanen
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Iltanen »

VIC is a good learning aid for much younger children, too. My sister, now 1 year and 8 months, has learned the basic colours with VIC - each time a key is pressed the screen color changes. So it's one of the easiest programs you can think of, but I think that it makes learning of such an abstract thing much faster when there's something that actually changes colour instead of showing multiple objects with same colour.

Also it could make learning the alphabet a bit different, hopefully fun, just show 8x8 block letters on the screen. Another very short program

Well, these aren't really "games" and they require someone to be there telling things but a great tool. (well, if you don't use a speech synth card or some viznutesque skills : D).

Anyway, I don't think that I'd leave my sister alone with VIC for a few months.. she was alone with it for 2 minutes and had crashed it somehow - it didn't take keys anymore. How's that possible? I didn't hear any extraordinarily loud banging of keys
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I have two little girls of my own and a game I would feel comfortable playing is Arrow - great for teaching kids numbers - with concepts of greater than and less than.
Loads of fun as the tail grows longer.... :D
Learning all the time... :)
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

English Invaders can be a lot of fun. It's basically a space shoot-em-up only with nouns, verbs and adjectives instead of aliens. You have to identify the word type and zap it with the corresponding key before the word crashes on top of you. I can't imagine any young child not enjoying this game.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

You Count

Screenshot:

Download: http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/games/YouCount.zip

Find out more about it here.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
theSmiths
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by theSmiths »

In my opinion...And my sons(aged 12) It has to be BLITZ! :D

I loved this game so much when i was young i had to have many copies as the tapes wore out!

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Hm, you'd better not post elsewhere that when you were a kid, your absolute favorite computer game was about bombing down cities over and over. It may position you as somewhat suspicious. :-D
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

My 4-yo daughter is pretty good at International Karate on the C64 and Knight Games. Sadly I do not have a good enough selection of VIC-20 games -- the ones I do have are too hard (Omega Race, Cosmic Cruncher). Once I get a Mega-Cart I'm sure there will be plenty.

Add Jumpman to that list - she plays it at speed 8.

I am looking at buying a copy of Carling the Spider for her as well as I was so pleased with Realms of Quest's packaging:

http://www.binaryzone.org/retrostore/in ... cts_id=496

Commodore16
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: Recommend a good game for young children.

Post by Commodore16 »

Thank you so much for this thread. I have been looking for some inspiration for my four year old son. Looks like our new Vic20 with Megacart is going to get a lot of use for years to come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Recommend a good game for young children.

Post by R'zo »

My 5 year old daughter enjoys jungle hunt more than anything else for vic. She also has a lot of fun with Ms. Pacman, Donkey Kong, Demon hunt, and Dragonfire. She also enjoyed Choplifter but needed some help.

I just recently got my vic running and my daughter has been helping me "test" some of my carts. She plays Wii and Playstion and still enjoys the 8-bit world just as much. I have fond memories of taking turns of dragonfire on Atari with my mom and brother when I was her age and it is a great experience that my daughter enjoys those same games with me now.

I have to add that Dragonfire and Donkey seem to play much smoother on the vic than I remember them playing on the 2600
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...