Royas
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Royas »

I like these games, they are very fun.

Im jealous of your BASIC skills
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Indeed, you seem to put yourself down too much Jeff. Your games are pretty good at a minumum, and would have been great little releases back in the day :)

Out of interest checking my records in GB20, when was Skiing written?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

Your games are pretty good ...
Indeed! I would go so far as to claim Jeff has captured the essence of what VIC computing was all about -- VIC friendliness meant you were going to have fun -- thanks for the fun experiences! :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mayhem wrote:Out of interest checking my records in GB20, when was Skiing written?
I cannot figure out the dates for things written before the 90s. I don't know why I didn't date things back then. I thought the date would be in the code. It isn't.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I must echo the request for WAR! :P

Honestly, that looks like the sort of thing I would have run out and bought based solely on the screenshot. An "RTS" for the VIC-20!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ah, Thanks for the support. I have a few games in mind to complete. I really just have one problem when it comes to game making: color. I'll post this issue in another thread.
Flanimal
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Flanimal »

Jeff-20 wrote:
Mayhem wrote:Out of interest checking my records in GB20, when was Skiing written?
I cannot figure out the dates for things written before the 90s. I don't know why I didn't date things back then. I thought the date would be in the code. It isn't.
Jeff, did you also write a C64 BASIC game called "Ski Run" on the C64? I had that game on cassette we first got the C64 around 1983. This game "Ski Run", looked just like your VIC game Skiing.

The game was fully in BASIC as I could press run/stop to list the code, plus I could slow the game down by pressing the control key!

So did you write it? I have searched the web for references to this game but have never found any...

There was a later machine code commercial game with the same name of "Ski Run", but that is not the version I am talking about.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've got three entries for games called "Ski Run" in GB20: one of the program on Cascade's "Cassette 50", the game by Rabbit, and one from Microbitti. Take your pick ;)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've heard that a computer came out after the VIC called a C64, but I never programmed it. My Skiing was one of those generic introductory games that every programmer attempts.
Flanimal
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by Flanimal »

Jeff-20 wrote:I've heard that a computer came out after the VIC called a C64, but I never programmed it. My Skiing was one of those generic introductory games that every programmer attempts.
Trust me this "Ski Run" was a very basic, BASIC program indeed. Perhaps someone based it on your Skiing code?
Mayhem, "Rabbit" rings a bell. Indeed, I believe the cassette inlet had a company picture of a rabbit being pulled out of a magic hat, with text along the lines of "Rabbit Software".
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

The really old, original Rabbit inlays had a rabbit lying on its side with the game name written underneath. Later titles have proper inlay graphics.