Weird Copy Of Jupiter Lander - Early Version?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Key-Quest
Vic 20 Drifter

Weird Copy Of Jupiter Lander - Early Version?

Post by Key-Quest »

I have 3 copies of Jupiter Lander on cartridge, all say Vic-1907 on the front, but 1 is slightly different (opening screen and colors) in the game than the others.

On the opening screen of my weird copy, it says something like "Vic Super Lander" above the score table, where the other copies don't say anything else like this. During actual gameplay, the background and ship are different colors too with the 1 cartridge. I am not changing them manually or anything, they are like this right from powering up the computer.

Curiosity getting the better of me, I opened up all 3 cartridges of this title that I own. The "chip" on the weird copy says "325308-01" then below "21YA" (Rev A board) whereas the other 2 copies both say "325308-02" on the "chip", and below is either "21ZD" (Rev A board) or "226D" (Rev B board).
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I think (but am not sure) this is a documented variation.

Super Alien, or Alien, also is like this. I have two versions. The only difference I think is the colour of the title screen (or maybe one doesn't even have a title screen).

One version of Alien is made in Japan, the other in Taiwan. The Japanese version is made on a black circuit board!
Key-Quest
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Key-Quest »

Of the 3 Jupiter Lander cartridges, I have 2 that are "Made in Japan", and one "Made in Hong Kong" (Rev.B board). From the outside, the 2 Japan ones are identical.

When I opened the 2 "Japan" ones up, I found that one has a black board and one does not. Interestly...they are both "Rev.A" boards and have the same numbers on the board - PNO 1900020 Rev A Dec-8 Made in Japan. However, the one with the black board is not the "weird" one. It's chip says "325308-02" and "21ZD" below. The "weird" one has a green board, and (as above) the chip says "325308-01" with "21YA" below.

Today I noticed something else strange regarding these boards. Only the "weird" one has some numbers on the back of the board, stamped right into the back. It says "W-18 94HB" on the back of the board (in the upper right corner) on the "weird" one. Neither of the other boards have any numbers etc. stamped on the back of them.
mrr19121970
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: Weird Copy Of Jupiter Lander - Early Version?

Post by mrr19121970 »

I know the thread is nearly 10 years old, but...

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I'm surprised I didn't reply as I've got a boxed Super Lander here.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I bought that Super Lander cartridge back in the day. I never heard of Jupiter Lander until I joined the retro scene mid 90s.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

If anyone has the older ROM then it sure is worth archiving.
Be normal.
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »