Ghost

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Sorry to say, I downloaded Ghost and a number of others last Saturday, but still didn't get to play them. :oops: I may have a go in the upcoming weekend.

At the same time on pouet.net I found a bunch of "brand new" VIC-20 demos from 2007. They're all PAL, and a few have been discussed on this forum, but not all of them. They may be worth checking out if you have the proper setup.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

:lol: hehe I thought the scary theme for this month might promote more interest in games.
I think the VIC community is more hardware and classic cart based. I, personally, don't get many downloads for my game PRGs. I think this one was download 4 or 5 times. That's still probably more than some previous game posts. It could just be difficulty in transferring from PC or something...
I'm going to add another game right now.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Jeff-20 wrote:I think the VIC community is more hardware and classic cart based. I, personally, don't get many downloads for my game PRGs. I think this one was download 4 or 5 times. That's still probably more than some previous game posts. It could just be difficulty in transferring from PC or something...
That's why I think you'd do well to get a compilation of your games published by OlderGames or Cronosoft.

Not to get rich (obviously), but just so people with an interest could obtain your games on real VIC media easily. You could do it yourself too, of course, but going through one of these companies would get you extra exposure that Denial alone doesn't get.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Woo-Hoo! I got a write up at Oldschool Gaming.com for this game!

I had never heard of OlderGames before you mentioned it, Robin. But the exclusive rights deal means I couldn't give the prg to Denial memebers. Cronosoft might be a fun option. I'll have to check their legal terms. I've always enjoyed looking at their selections.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Jeff-20 wrote:Woo-Hoo! I got a write up at Oldschool Gaming.com for this game!
Cool :)
I had never heard of OlderGames before you mentioned it, Robin. But the exclusive rights deal means I couldn't give the prg to Denial memebers.
Ah, I didn't realize they had that limitation. I still might go through them if I get one of my bigger projects done, probably on the C-64. But any of my games that only took me less than, say, a week I'd want to be made available free.
Cronosoft might be a fun option. I'll have to check their legal terms. I've always enjoyed looking at their selections.
I'm sure that at least in the past Cronosoft allows you to still make the game freely available as a download, which would be ideal for you. They just don't come across as being as professional because of their cheap as free website, though that seems to have improved very recently.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I remember it otherwise, that Cronosoft at first required exclusive distribution rights, but over the years have changed their license to allow free downloads as well. They contacted me about my VIC-20 MiniGame entries many years ago, but since (1) I didn't want to disallow downloads from my own web page and (2) didn't have the spare time to polish the games to commercial quality, I didn't pursue an agreement with them.
Anders Carlsson

Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Vic20 games would be cool get at disc with manual and box 8)

I just got Frogfeast for Atari Jaguar from Oldergames.
TMR
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by TMR »

Cronosoft's policy is to only take tape and disk distribution rights, that's why all my C64, VIC, C16, Plus/4 and so forth titles are freely downloadable from the Cosine site and indeed OSG (where they've been reviewed) whilst being on sale, Simon only has rights to those media and i retained my ownership for other means.

Some people only have the tape/disk/paid download available, others take the same approach as me so you can pretty much mix and match... =-)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

This game (along with Game Theory) is in the minigame comp. Please check it out. As the comp draws to a close, I am nervous that the difficulty in this one was too high. I worry no one will see the ending. Line 12 can adjust the difficulty. Modify the "R<5" to a lower number like 1. It may be more playable.

It's Halloween and everyone's playing a Winter-themed cross country ski game. :lol:
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

[OT] I guess it's because of the anticipated winter here in Italy (cold, windy, and snowy even in Southern Italy). Which is not so bad, considering that it forces us to stay at home and play with the VIC :wink: [/OT]
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I wondered about all your references to snow. I thought you lived in the Alpine part of Italy. Much more northover, there still are no signs of snow and let it stay that way for at least a month more.

By why not combine the two events into one game, a skeleton simulator? :-D
Anders Carlsson

ravenxau
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ravenxau »

another great game jeff - amazing the game execution speed you get in basic - and that you work so well in the unexpanded environment
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks! This is everyone's last chance to play a themed game before Halloween. :lol:
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

This is an awesome game!
I think you shouldn't worry about the difficulty level... I only made it to night 4 after several attempts, but I started to get a feel for the game and I don't think it's unfair.
Impressive that you got 16 different screen layouts into an unexpanded BASIC program!
And I love the animation that swaps the graves and the zombies!

Thanks!
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I have revisited this game for October. I really want to tune a game until I am satisfied.

I no longer like the arcade elements (the bonus, the key). They seem counter to the theme. I want a more fun, dark halloween thing like Ghost Manor.

I also now think the difficulty curve is too steep. I want an easier entry into the game play. I'm not sure how to do this. Precise joystick movement is difficult at any speed. You have to place the player in an exact location to score.

I'm still really proud of the title screen, so I want to keep it. But I don't really like the title. It seems generic. I liked the original "Zombie Yard" much better. Maybe I could combine them, like "Ghost of Zombie Yard" or "Zombie Yard 2: Ghost" But maybe that sounds stupid.